mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where can i find macros like that?....i researched a bit online and they just don't look that brilliant. :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are so kind! Thank you!

I found my best macros as hitchhikers at the local fish store. A few I had to actually buy the coral to get!

My favorite red was sent to me by a aquarium curator who was sending me some seahorse stock to bump up my breeders DNA! He still thinks it's weird I got more excited about the macro!

I am hoping that sw planted tanks will take off. Then, maybe importers will start bringing them in. There are literally thousands of gorgeous macros, unusual funky shapes and really hot colors. They will really brighten up a tank.

I think those FW guys would start adding IO if they saw some of these tanks, how easy and fun they are...

cabin

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a fascinating tank.

I am currently very interested in setting up a 180 that has seagrasses and macroalgae.

What fish did you decide on, to control undesirable algae but leave the macros alone?

Do you feed the seahorses directly?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found it very difficult to find fish that only eat certain alga. If you use snails and hermits to keep the nuisance algae in check, you can have these kinds of algae in a community tank.

I do not have an issue with nuisance alga in this tank. The macros grow quickly so if one gets a bit of hair algae on it, I just clip it off. I am actually trying to get Asparagopsis taxiformis to grow, but it has been a struggle. I have found that by encouraging the stronger, faster growing species, the nuisance alga struggle.

But, a 180 without a tang? or angel? I have a few tangs and I have found very few alga they won't eat. I have found as long as there is something they like better to graze on (nori on a magfloat), they will leave some algae alone (Caulerpa species, Chaetomorpha species), but they would rather eat either before they eat the hair algae. To keep their tank free of hair algae, I have to let them eat everything else...

If you decide to not add herbivorous fish, and just use snails ( a lot of them), you can add small lionfish species! I have an anntenata in my reef and he does not touch any algae. That would look cool to have some algae, grasses in with a small herd of antenatas! He does eat peppermint shrimp, though....Aiptasia must be manually removed ( I let them climb onto a piece of rubble).

There are some algae genera that herbivores won't eat. The genus Halimeda has some gorgeous specimens. It does suck up calcium so you have to add calcium and bicarb when it starts to grow. But, I think seagrasses will be eaten by most herbivores.

Here is a species I just found. It was living in an algae haters tank, so it is just geginning to get new shoots. It is in my reef, with my scopus tang, a lawn mower blenny and a rabbit fish!

Attachments

• 100_2902.jpg
    100_2902.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 8,241
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a friends tank. He has the usual Tim the Toolman reef with a CA reactor, RO water, ect.

He has a very pristine tank, grows SPS like mad with gorgeous colors.

He has to prune the Halimeda quite freq! He did try to get rid of the alga. I think he is nuts! This tank is really a gorgeous, breath takiing site with tangs, angels, everything! Except seahorses....

Attachments

• p3972453.jpg
    p3972453.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 8,242
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have too many requests local to ship any...Sorry?

But, really, start looking at the live rock and the coral shipments at your LFS. These things are on their lists and they will save them for you!

N

Nemesis

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to ask Suzy some tank questions but can't find a username or anything. Can someone tell me how to find her account so I can PM or Email her ? Thank you.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nemesis":2qvq5yby said:
I wanted to ask Suzy some tank questions but can't find a username or anything. Can someone tell me how to find her account so I can PM or Email her ? Thank you.
seahorsewhisperer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: