jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Russ, no need to flame you. If your calcification demands are not that high, WC's will keep your cal, alk, and mag in check. Expect to be dosing shortly if you get more into stonies.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
you got some stability issues as well then, listen oceanic IMO doesnt have the best binders out there. twice a week water doesnt age in you tank does it lol, believe it or not i think it's better not to water change so damn much, because freshly new made water is diffrent from the older water, constant change isnt the best thing i think, this is my own opinion. I do monthly water changes like JBNY etc..

I want you to come over here check my system out, grab a frag or two and i'll give you calcium and alk and mag additives. I make mine from randy's formula so it doesnt cost me much. If you like it i can always make more for you. Having constant water change IMo isnt the best thing.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
spykes said:
rich you give me to much credit, im still a big newb, and my tank doesnt look to colorful. IMO unless my tank looked like yours i would never call it colorful.

If it looked like mine your corals would be dead :D

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If you're using RO/DI you should probably at least be dosing Alk, since the Oceanic Dkh readings are so low. Any sway in the parameters to where they shouldn't be, especially alk, will easily show in your corals.

joe

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Inknow all you water parametr guys are saying no, but I actualy think it's the sharpness of the T5 bulbs

Many of the corals in Russ's tank are specimen color but ARE NOT close to the light - the ones closer to the top are the ones lighter (even whiter in some cases) than the rest of the corals - call it a shorter photo period, call it par, whatever it is scientifically, the lights are the problem

House

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
House of Laughter said:
Inknow all you water parametr guys are saying no, but I actualy think it's the sharpness of the T5 bulbs

Many of the corals in Russ's tank are specimen color but ARE NOT close to the light - the ones closer to the top are the ones lighter (even whiter in some cases) than the rest of the corals - call it a shorter photo period, call it par, whatever it is scientifically, the lights are the problem

House

Jim, your assessment is 'feeling' right to me (no, I'm not joining Rich and Dave :fishhit: ). The 30 hrs that I've had the lights raised and my wife commented about the colors coming back in my green monti cap. And if I do say so myself, she would aspire to be a newb. So I'm thinking, at least for now the lighting is the problem.

master

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
spykes said:
you got some stability issues as well then, listen oceanic IMO doesnt have the best binders out there. twice a week water doesnt age in you tank does it lol, believe it or not i think it's better not to water change so damn much, because freshly new made water is diffrent from the older water, constant change isnt the best thing i think, this is my own opinion. I do monthly water changes like JBNY etc..

I want you to come over here check my system out, grab a frag or two and i'll give you calcium and alk and mag additives. I make mine from randy's formula so it doesnt cost me much. If you like it i can always make more for you. Having constant water change IMo isnt the best thing.

Water changes are one of the things that perk up the colors in my tank. Probably why I do them 2x per week. Oceanic has definitely gotten a reputation for low Alk. It seems to be debatable between Oceanic users and those that don't particularly care for it.

There is no reason for me to have to dose Ca. Alk could be a question mark, but debatable still. As I've mentioned, raising the lights just 5" has made a small (only been 30 hrs) but noticeable change.

I've already changed my digital timer for my daylights to come on an hour later and shut off an hour earlier. I will change the actinics tonight.

None of this changes the fact that I'd like to visit you Dave and see your tank. If Rich endorses it, then I'm a firm believer it is just beautiful. Can't wait to see it.

Dave, btw, I have decent size storage tanks for my FW topoff water (50 gallon brute) and for my saltwater makeup (50 gallon rubbermaid). So the SW I use for WC's is absolutely aged for minimum of a week. When I use SW for changes I only use about 5 gallons at a time. I then refill the tub and add salt accordingly. So in effect it really does have a chance to age.

Not sure if all this makes sense, but I think the lighting is the easiest thing to adjust at this time. Aiden's father seems to agree with me too! :hug:

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
kimoyo said:
Russ - I know this is off topic but do you like the silver tek or the black more? I'm going to order an 8 bulb tek.

Paul, I like the silver because the black shows more salt creep to me. Problem is, the silver is discontinued. Obviously I was only one of a very few that liked it better.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: