jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
PH effects on our aquariums

Can someone explain the improtance of keeping a high PH in a close system? IME I have had PH swings from low to high (now and on old systems), and I never saw a difference in my inhabitants. I'm just curious why everyone strives for a high PH (I do too but I'm not sure why ;))

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Rich, what levels do you consider high?

maintaining levels similar to those of NSW would makes sense in replicating the environments they are used to and adapted to.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Chief, I just want to understand why it's necessary :)

Albert, when I say high, I don't mean above the norm. Basically I would like to know why it is important to keep a PH of 8.2-8-6. Like I said, I never saw a difference in my old tanks or this one, when the PH would drop to 7.9-.7.7

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Same here. I want am having a pH of 7.7-7.8 on my tank and I can't seem to know why.. I know its below NSW, but does the coral need the 8.1-8.3 range? Everything that I have look fine and doesn't seems to be bother by the low pH.

Having a stable pH is important, I think.. Not the range. But something in me still want a pH of 8.1-8.2 ;)

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
From RC, asked last night: Low pH

Randy's response: "Low pH makes it harder for calcifying organisms (hard corals, coralline algae, snails, etc) to deposit calcium carbonate. That can partially be offset with higher alkalinity. Also, slow growth is not necessarily bad, but may make it harder for corals to deal with other stresses."

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Dean, I read that before. That answer sucks.:)

He says that slower growth can be partially offset with a higher alk. So if my alk is in NSW range and my PH is low, what's the drawback? Is it only growth?

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
jackson6745 said:
So if my alk is in NSW range...
i dont think that would be considered HIGHER alk...
to compensate for the difficulty in calcifying at lower pH, they will need a higher concentration of Alk to maintain the same rate.

Rich, think about what happens to corraline in vinegar - it dissolves, so basically the more acidic the water (lower pH) the closer you are to that reaction and the further you are from the 'growth' reaction.

i think...

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
alrha said:
Rich, think about what happens to corraline in vinegar - it dissolves, so basically the more acidic the water (lower pH) the closer you are to that reaction and the further you are from the 'growth' reaction.

i think...

Now this makes sense to me :) Shaun where are you ? :D

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Dean, I read that before. That answer sucks.:)

I didn't like that line either.

I use my ph probe as an indicator for my alk level. If your CO2 levels are stable, Alk and pH will have a direct relationship. So as your pH drops, your alk will drop and as your pH rises, your alk will rise.

Figure1.jpg

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Paul FWIW, I actually took my reactor offline a week ago and have been using Randy's 2 part. I have notice an increase in growth already and a PH between 8.0-8.3 instead of 7.9-8.1 from my reactor..

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Yep because the reactor uses CO2 to dissolve the media.

Another good thing that most people don't realize about Randy's 2 part and wetskimming is the salt lost with wetskimming is hopefully partially offset with the salt added from the 2 part dosing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: