ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
That's the stupidest thread on RC! I commented there about his incorrect information and ignorance. The starter of that thread keeps fake plants in his tank and promotes adding sugar! :lol2:

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's the stupidest thread on RC! I commented there about his incorrect information and ignorance. The starter of that thread keeps fake plants in his tank and promotes adding sugar! :lol2:

Yea yea laugh it up, but this your tank taste half as sweet as his?:tongue1:

I think not

MMMmmmm......reeef:givebeer:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
could be, there were a lot of frags knocked over that night.

I think it's better to keep up with water changes rather than look for bandaids to solve a No3, or Po4 problem. JMO.

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
Thanks for the info....
I'm having natrate issue 40ppm...i feed once a day with 1 Q brine shrimp
and I've done 20g (about 25%) weekly for more then 3 months no improvement
75 AGA 20g refuguium
150 lb LR
3 inches sand bad
11 fishes
8 inverts

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I know with No3 that high you will have to do larger water changes to bring the levels down.

also what's up with the skimming? what do you have? is it working the best it can?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Thanks for the info....
I'm having natrate issue 40ppm...i feed once a day with 1 Q brine shrimp
and I've done 20g (about 25%) weekly for more then 3 months no improvement
75 AGA 20g refuguium
150 lb LR
3 inches sand bad
11 fishes
8 inverts
I would like to try and help you if possible! with a little more common sense than that "sugar" guy.

So if I may be so bold to ask a few questions, :) .

What are your fish? How big are they? How old is your tank, can you post up a picture? What skimmer do you use? Does 1Q = 1 cube?

Have you checked your water from the RO/DI? is the unit functioning properly?

Your sand bed is a little small in depth to undergo anaerobic break down of nitrate by anaerobic bacteria, but is most likely OK! How old is it? are you having any algae problems? what corals are you looking to keep long term?

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
When you have 11 fish in a 75gal tank what do you except. Actually you're probably lucky you're nitrates aren't higher.

First is this a reef tank or a FOWLR tank. If it's a FOWLR tank then I wouldn't worry about having nitrates at 40ppm. It also sounds like you're under feeding your fish big time, if 1 Q=1 cube of brine shrimp. Either way brine shrimp isn't a good food to feed any fish, specially long term.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Weekly, 25% water change could be a dangerous move unless you are sure all the parameters are balanced and all new water is very well prepared. Note that salt mixes differs in each batch.

Did your nitrate problem carry from the old days when you started feeding cyclopeez? I kind of remembered you said the nitrate problem with your tanks started then. Am I right or not? How long have you switched from cylopeez to brine shrimps?

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
i dunno, in my cichlid tank i had a huge nitrate problem. 10-15% water changes every week didn;t help, neither did a 30% change every 2 weeks just to see if that helped. it always stayed the same.

I ended up breaking down and adding that nitrate removal pouch from my LFS. Nitra-zorb i think its called. Anyways my nitrates dropped from 50-80mg/l to around 0-10 or so and is holding. the pouches last about 2-3 months and cost around 15$ or so. Also added a phos-zorb pouch in there also to remove algae (brooklyn water sucks with phos) and my algae was all gone in 1-2 weeks.

Dunno if the nitrate pouch works with saltwater but the phos bag does and i am running it now on my nano. Greadly reduced my algae growth. Had a small hair algae problem and now between the bag and the hermits eating it all up i have very little to none left in the tank.

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
Ok gents thanks for all the reply...
I have the tank up for 9 months, after cycle nitrate 0.(salifert test kits)
after 5 months nitrate start getting hi
I have a prizm pro skimmer( I know need to get a DELTEC soon).
75g mix reefs no sps everythings doing fine, nitrate is the problem
water parameters:
nitrate 40ppm
nitrite 0
Calcium 380
Alkalinity 2.86
Ammonia 0
magnesium 1270
Salinity 1.023-1.024
tem 79-83
Phosphate 0.005

Fishes
2 clown
1 hippo
1 yellow tang
1 bicolor blenny
2 chromis
1 8 Line Wrasse
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Green Mandarin
1 Lyretail Anthias

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
Weekly, 25% water change could be a dangerous move unless you are sure all the parameters are balanced and all new water is very well prepared. Note that salt mixes differs in each batch.

Did your nitrate problem carry from the old days when you started feeding cyclopeez? I kind of remembered you said the nitrate problem with your tanks started then. Am I right or not? How long have you switched from cylopeez to brine shrimps?

yes when started feeding cyclopeez
only 1 cube brine shrimp now

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: