Manolo_AP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hello all. After a long battle with dinoflagellates that seems to have died out (fingers crossed) which I introduced to my tank via a coral frag. I now will be dipping my coral as part of my acclimation process.

My question is. What order do you guys do it in?

Dip first then drip acclimate. Or. Drip acclimate then coral dip.

Also what water do I use for the dip? The stores water, my own water, fresh RO water.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I only temp acclimate my corals. After floating the bag for 30-60 minutes, i then add revive to the bag for 5 minutes, i also stir the water a shake the frag/coral in the revive/water to ensure total coverage.
I also do a close/careful visual inspection before and after revive bath.

Others do lugols and more.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i never acclimate coral, i didn't think it was necessary being i was going to drop it in insect poison. i did float the frag first. i guess I'm wrong but i never lost one right away.

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Here is what I typically do:

1. Temp Acclimate -30-60 minutes
  2. Dip - (currently using Bayer Insecticide)
  3. Temp Acclimate again for 10-15 minutes
  4. Place the frags on the sand bed to begin light acclimating for the next week or 2 (depending on how much light a particular frag needs).

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
i never drip acc the corals. only temp then straight dip then rinse with tank water and put into tank.

Temp Acclimate -15 -20 minutes depending on how cold the water is.
Dip - CORAL RX

Place the corals anywhere there suppose to be never do i place on the sand bed and move up. i make sure not to place everything high tho.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
1. open bag and visually check for problems.
2. place coral in holding tank. I use water from my system into 10g with a sh!t filter and observe for 24 hrs.
3. Coral RX dip 15min then return to 10g QT.
4.Observe for 24hrs. if the frag appears clean in goes into my "Curing system" for a few weeks then into the grow out. If after a few months it turns out to be sweet. it goes into the permanent prop system.

If the coral is anything less that outstanding it is sold as a colony I do not invest in average corals.

Curing system (aka .. skank tank)

I maintain a 65 gallon curing system that is stocked with . peppermint shrimp (aptaisia killer) , bristle tail file fish (majano killer) , bergia nudi's (aptaisia killers), Sea grass wrasse ( zoa eating nudi killer), shrimp and wrasse to eat flat worms and a few other things to make sure what passes through this system is pest free. It is not 100% and sometimes I need to use chemicals to save infected corals. however my goal is to stress each coral as little as possible.

I try to stabilize every piece I sell, long before it goes to market. I am often told people can't beive how fast a frag I sold them is growing. This is because I do more then just chop shop corals, I cure and condition them to the best of my ability before passing them on. The goal is to make my customers experience and overwhelmingly positive one.

even though I may be a :turtle: sometimes. it takes time to perfect things.

Manolo_AP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thanks for the input guys.
Arati, that is pretty thorough. Lol.

I just did a hydrogen peroxide dip on my Duncan Lord I bought yesterday. I'm so afraid of Dino I can't be too careful.

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: