Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys since last weak my coral has been bleaching from bottom to top, salinity, mG, AKH and CA is ok please help not sure what to do! My lights ares two t5. Every other corals are ok

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo of coral

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 553
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
first things first, claiming your levels are good without writing them isn't going to help.

what are you using to measure each level, what brand? is your refractometer calibrated. what salt are you using? how often are you doing water changes? how are you doing them?

Can you post a photo of the tank and tell us the amount of gallons and how long its been set up.

with little information, noone can give you any type of advice thats actually good.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Don't feed the troll. To the original OP, first apologies for the thread hijack --this happens way too often by the same few people and needs to stop. The good of the site is way more important than the negative rantings of a single member.

To your question, corals can bleach or die for many reasons, and as stated above, we need more info to begin to try to answer your question. Sometimes there isn't an obvious answer and that can be very frustrating. Let's hope there are some simple concrete measures you can take. Awaiting more info....

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
oneilwiz lets start with this if you really want some answers...

What size tank do you have?
What skimmer are you running?
What are your ok par. of salinity, alk, cal, mag and phosphates?
What is your water change schedule?
What are your nitrates at?
What size and how many bulb lighting do you have?
Which bulbs do you have running on the fixture?
Are you running phosban and carbon in reactors or at all?
What flow do you have running in the tank?

Just a few questions to get to the root of the problem..

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a full details of my Tank
90 Gallon non reef readt tank with a 30 gallon Acrylic Sump
Equipment:
Eshopp PSK150
BRS GFO
ESV Carbon in small bag
Caeto Algae with Live Rock
Return Pump ( Tunze Silence 1073)
Jaebao WP40 for Flow
Light: Deep Blue T5 ( 2 54 watt( ATI Atinic Blue and white)- bulbs replaced 5 months ago
Test Kit for KH, CA & MG - Red Sea Test Kit
Measure of Salinity - BRS Refractometer
Dose with ESV Two part once or twice a month

Water Parameters;
Salinity- 1.025
Alkalinity 9.0 dkh
Calcium 420 ppm
Magnesium 1500ppm
Nitrate -0
Phosphate- didn't get to test , tested two weeks ago detected 0
Water Change- 30% once a month with RODI Water made from home with Instant Ocean Reef Crystal

N.B coral has been in the tank for more than 2 months but suddenly start to bleach two weeks ago. I just moved the coral from the off the rock to the sand bed after I notice it start to bleach.

Tank has been running for 1 year 4 months
Water flow in tank I have to dial back a bit as the flow is extremely high

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 442
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 433
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 442
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
whar are you using to dose cal and alk and mag ? and what test kits are you using ? and a 2 bulb t5 isnt going to be enough to keep any sps alive. what are you using to measure salinity also ?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
ok so one thing that pops out at me that duke has mentioned a post prior to yours is that your running a 2 bulb t5 fixture on a 90 gallon tank with this sps on the sand bed. Definitely not going to last on the sand bed... You need to move him up high (if your lucky it will survive a little longer then it should with that lighting) and think about getting a new fixture that is made for your size tank :) (again this is only 1 thing that jumps out at me)

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
Yea the lighting is definitely not strong enough for sps on the sand in a 90 gallon..
What type of sps was it?
Sometimes certain sps just don't do well and can die for no explained reason ,especially if it was a bacterial issue ..just part of keeping sps
Any other sps ? How are they doing?

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so one thing that pops out at me that duke has mentioned a post prior to yours is that your running a 2 bulb t5 fixture on a 90 gallon tank with this sps on the sand bed. Definitely not going to last on the sand bed... You need to move him up high (if your lucky it will survive a little longer then it should with that lighting) and think about getting a new fixture that is made for your size tank :) (again this is only 1 thing that jumps out at me)

Note I just move it to the sand bed less than two hours now before it was on the rock in the center of the tank the highest point

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted on first Page;

elow is a full details of my Tank
90 Gallon non reef readt tank with a 30 gallon Acrylic Sump
Equipment:
Eshopp PSK150
BRS GFO
ESV Carbon in small bag
Caeto Algae with Live Rock
Return Pump ( Tunze Silence 1073)
Jaebao WP40 for Flow
Light: Deep Blue T5 ( 2 54 watt( ATI Atinic Blue and white)- bulbs replaced 5 months ago
Test Kit for KH, CA & MG - Red Sea Test Kit
Measure of Salinity - BRS Refractometer
Dose with ESV Two part once or twice a month

Water Parameters;
Salinity- 1.025
Alkalinity 9.0 dkh
Calcium 420 ppm
Magnesium 1500ppm
Nitrate -0
Phosphate- didn't get to test , tested two weeks ago detected 0
Water Change- 30% once a month with RODI Water made from home with Instant Ocean Reef Crystal

N.B coral has been in the tank for more than 2 months but suddenly start to bleach two weeks ago. I just moved the coral from the off the rock to the sand bed after I notice it start to bleach.

Tank has been running for 1 year 4 months
Water flow in tank I have to dial back a bit as the flow is extremely high

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Get the calibration fluid its cheap and real good tool. I always test my refract every time I do a water change. There are so many factors that can cause a RTN or STN on SPS and sometimes its something thats easily figured out and sometimes a run down on every possible issue and every possible fix is needed since you cant pinpoint the issue

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: