albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I have 2 100 gallon containers that I make salt with. I make batches of the entire 200 gallon boxes no measuring needed only measurement of salinity which is 1.026 and that makes around 170 to 180 gallon more or less.

If you're making 2 separate 100g mixes, how is 'no measuring needed'? I usually have some extra chemicals left over after making 200g...
Are you sure that you have ESV salt?

Last edited:

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
If you're making 2 separate 100g mixes, how is 'no measuring needed'? I usually have some extra chemicals left over after making 200g...
Are you sure that you have ESV salt?
They are both connected to each other via pump and PVC and yes it's the ESV salt and how can you have chemicals left over if 200 gallons makes 200 gallons. It should come out exact more or less.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
They are both connected to each other via pump and PVC ...
It should come out exact more or less.

Sorry, I did not understand that they were connected... Have you ever measured the volume of the 100g tanks?... I have a 55 gallon plastic drum, that I wanted to 'calibrate' for each 'exact' 5g level, and it turns out the drum actually holds slightly over 60g.

Have you measured the other parameters besides salinity, after adding all ingredients into (only) 180g? Is mag or calc extra high?

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I never really measured them but on the side it has markers every 10 gallon point all the way to the 100 gallon marker. It would surprising to me if the markings are incorrect.
I am curious, what do you have left over from you 200 gallon mix? Which of the parts and how much? I really figured I wouldn't have to measure anything if I'm mixing up the entire 200 gallon 4 part. That everything would be there exact for 200 gallons.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reviewed the survey results. Here is a graphic summary.

umy2aren.jpg

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Started off using tropical Marin now I switched to instant ocean reef crystals. Just did my first water change with that salt so I'll like to see the results. Water looks clearer already

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I was using reef crystals from the start and recently switched to ESV 3 months ago.
Reason for Switch is that I got 3 boxes of ESV at same price I normally paid for Reef crystals. So I figured why not try it out. The only thing I like is the short mix time. I can't say if there is any noticeable change with the tank.

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
i'm trying out ESV on the new setup, we'll see how it goes.
But i am curious why no one is using coralife anymore? That seemed the be the way a lot of ppl were going.
i ran out and have a hard time finding it, even.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: