Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Have you measured the phosphates of your water before mixing the salt? When I did measure high phosphates, it was because my test tubes were dirty and my RO/DI water was actually measuring high as well.

ps: I will still measure for my next water change and post the results here.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Have you measured the phosphates of your water before mixing the salt? When I did measure high phosphates, it was because my test tubes were dirty and my RO/DI water was actually measuring high as well.

ps: I will still measure for my next water change and post the results here.

I have checked this not just once but numerous times over the past month and with different boxes of the salt to make sure it wasnt just one box with the issue. It was 6 cases of the 200 gallon salt mix. I make alot of salt water for water changes every week especially because my tank had high phosphates and i couldnt figure out where it was coming from. i had GFO, Cheato, Water changes and 0 TDS & PO4 in my RODI. Little did i figure it was the salt and by trying to do water changes and chaging GFO out what i was really doing was just putting a hell of alot more in. I would have been better with no water changes. Anyway after a loss on all this salt ive been using, all the GFO and the losses by the high phosphates im ready to turn away from ESV to another brand, mabe tropic marin but this time im educated. ill test test test and dont assume anything from articles, magazines or media hype. Be an educated consumer and check for yourself. It will save you thousands in the long run.

RODI water 0
RODI water holding tank 0
ESV Salt water .19

This was the reading I got on making 100 Gallons and done by weight not measuring cups for more accuracy.
Ive seen threads where it could just be the batches from ESV but this doesnt seem like the case because ive made and a few people here and on RC have made numerous batches all with readings at .19 PO4 or higher and on low side of the spectrum at .12 the lowest and this could be due to their mixing components measuring differential.
We would like to see ESV fix this problem and or at least address it! As of now im running GFO in mt Salt water holding tank to bring it down to 0.
This has really shed light on a salt that was thought of as one of the best out there.

Last edited:

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I bought a vertex reactor and I'm running it on my 100 gallon salt storage container until po4 in there in zero. Just find a used reactor that your happy with and doesn't have to be large at all.
I hope ESV sees this and realized what a great product they have and to what lengths we the consumers will go to keep it because there's nothing else like it. Just fix the phosphates issue please.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I finally got around to performing this experiment myself tonight.

New batch of RO/DI water, circulating for a day - 0.00 ppm phosphate via Hanna.
Added ESV to this RO/DI as per instructions - 0.17 ppm phosphate via Hanna.

I intentionally made this mix soft on the salt (32 ppt) for whatever that is worth.

I'm going to be trying a different salt mix now. I've been having a TON of problems with my reef the last 6 months or so and some of it as been high PO4 levels. Now with this information I'm starting to wonder as I switched to ESV about 6 months ago...

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I intentionally made this mix soft on the salt (32 ppt) for whatever that is worth.

Mixing the salt in unequal parts is not chemically sound, we don't know exactly what the 2 part is made of and once you mess with the ratios you are going to have saltwater that is not what the product advertises. I am all about hobbiest testing but not knowing the chemistry literacy of the members making these claims (like using more NaCl than directed) I am skeptical the process or results are repeatable. Anecdotally, I know there are many companies and hobbiests who use this salt exclusively for years and have had no issues.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Mixing the salt in unequal parts is not chemically sound, we don't know exactly what the 2 part is made of and once you mess with the ratios you are going to have saltwater that is not what the product advertises. I am all about hobbiest testing but not knowing the chemistry literacy of the members making these claims (like using more NaCl than directed) I am skeptical the process or results are repeatable. Anecdotally, I know there are many companies and hobbiests who use this salt exclusively for years and have had no issues.

I personally have mixed this salt for over a year by weight ( digital scale ) and by measuring cups. All in all it still came out to .19 PO4.
Many other came out with the same conclusion whether it was .12 to .19. These numbers are very high for a salt mix and ESV needs to address this issue in their salt. Again I will say on record, this is one of the best salt mixes out there and im not changing salts but there is a lot of labor with this salt mix and to add a PO4 GFO reactor to new salt mix is going above and beyond for a salt mix which besides that fact you have to measure each component separately. VIO who is a an expert and fanatic on checking parameters painstakingly measured each component for PO4 and posted his results with the addition of the compounds.
We the hobbyists are the experts on testing our waters and parameters to the best of our abilities with using different test kits and different batches of the same brand of salt.
BTW you will notice that ESV doesnt post what the PO4 in their salt is but WILL post every other parameter. Gee, does that tell you anything???

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
nothing to call about, they are sponsors in this forum and RC so i am sure they are seeing this thread and have been alerted to this problem. Once more ill still say " This is the best salt there is on the market "

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I was always under the impression that the PO4 was always zero, which is probably why they didn't list it. A lot of other salts claim to also have zero PO4, but tests have shown that's not the case.

I've been using ESV for quite a while, and within the last couple of months I've experienced a lot of HA and Bryopsis growth in the tank, which just came out of nowhere. I've changed salts, to Red Sea Reef Pro, and after a number of water changes, just doing my normal weekly amount of 20gals, I've noticed a differences. I don't have any of the ESV left to test, but maybe that possibly something got in the salt to increase the PO4 level.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: