chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hi All.
yesterday I have notice that when my tank lights are off, mid size Sipunculid worm was working his way around my new Maxima clam attachment point.
my worries are that it can get in to the clam from inside and irritate it to the point of death. i have not notice any change in behavior of Maxima through the day time. it still looks healthy. I only had this clam for 3 weeks now, and i heard the stories that different type of worms can irritate the clam. should I worry, or let it slide buy.
thank you.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
try to eradicate it some worms can start chewing at the attaching points and work their way to the underside of the mantle or get a wrasse
thank you
I know it can become a potential problem especially if the worm will nest inside the clam and starts eating it from inside. I do have six lane wrasse which as doing good job of eradicating other types of worms, but Sipunculids are coming out at night, when my wrasse is sleeping. i was thinking of trying to catch this worm off guard and clip his head with scissors. Unfortunately, it is a difficult task due to the clam position it the rock wall. Also, even if I would be lucky enough to clip his head, there is no guaranty that it will not grow the new head.
People write that those worms are harmless, but i don't think so after looking at his mouth. what should I do to Eradicate the beast.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: