jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Not new but can be effective. Im not a fan because of added risk of stripping. IMO if you want a successful reef long term, limit risk and add redundancy when possible. I guess if you can balance it perfectly it would be great, but delicacy scares me with a reef.
Persistently high po4 is usually from a flaw in your system design, po4 laden sanded or rock, or poor maintenance overall.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I used the process about 3 or 4 years ago and while it did drop Po4 efficiently, it was a PIA to use. Filter socks had to be changed almost daily and there was a side effect that affected my starfire glass, basically clouding the glass to the point that razor scraping had no effect. I personally would not use it again.

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
If used correctly there are no side affect's. If you use a low dosage daily to maintain low po4 there wont be a problem. Overdosing will cause harm and cloud tank also killing fish. The idea of the filter socks is to collect the fine powder that the lanthanum chloride reduces the po 4 to. It is as fine as baby powder. Try a small vile of tank water ad ad 1 drop shake vile let sit for 1/2 hour you will see what it turns into. hope this helps .

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I used the process about 3 or 4 years ago and while it did drop Po4 efficiently, it was a PIA to use. Filter socks had to be changed almost daily and there was a side effect that affected my starfire glass, basically clouding the glass to the point that razor scraping had no effect. I personally would not use it again.

Hmm, I also have some of that white hazy clouding on the glass, on the areas which I didn't clean often. That might explain it...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: