P

Pedro

Now here are the FE result pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.First

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I hear there are some Wrasses that eat them. I know it is hit or miss, but if your tank is big enough (and you like Wrasses) try one. I was thinking about getting a small yellow Coris, But I need a SMALL one.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I would be extremely weary of that FE treatment in the tank for the nudis. It looked like parts of them fell off and that isn't good since each piece can regrow into an entirely new nudi. If you use the FE and even a small piece falls off and survives you have only slowed them down. I would try and use the FE outside the tank if the rocks r removeable. Let them fall off in the styro rather than ur tank least then they can be removed entirely. It would suck to have done all this work only to have them resurface weeks from now all over again.

zahner

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
what concentration of FE did you use outside the tank? I suspect it may have killed them due to extremely high concentration and acheiving this would be difficult and possibly dangerous in the display. A FE-like treatment for zoo-eating nudis that doesn't involve removing all the colonies from the display would be a godsend.
FWIW, if you've already siphoned them out, placing them tapwater for a minute or so will finish them off.

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Explain how the FWE will work on the eggs though. The eggs are tough to get off and unless you plan on FWEing your tank every time eggs hatch (daily), I doubt you'll have much luck with it. Hey if you want to give it a shot, go for it... I would start dipping and scraping.

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Sorry to hear about your problem with the nudis, but those are absolutely fantastic photos! Now you've gotten me paranoid and starting tonight, I will be looking more closely at my zoos. You will win the battle!

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Solbby, did you ever try the FE treatment?
No! Some have tried on RC in the beginning, and destroyed their tank. The nudies when you kill them will release the toxins in their bodies into the tank, this will kill fish/corals. Maybe you could kill them outside the tank with FWE.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Just to clarify, if i use the FE, it will be done outside the display in a 5gal bucket. That way i can dump all the zoos in one shot. I don't have much in terms of corals right now, so that's a plus.

I also don't know what concentration of FE would be needed to say precisely what kills them. If you treat outside the tank, it's pretty feasible. But i think that to get the amount necessary to treat in the main display would be catastrophic. The concentration would be too high. I mean i dripped one drop in the water where it was on the styro plate, right above it and immediately it started to die. The only advantage to this is that i can use saltwater and leave them in longer, whereas freshwater i would need to watch the time.

I read some articles where they said some wrasses of the Thalassoma and Coris genus, and the Red Sea Butterfly and Chaetodon auriga, the Thread Fin Butterfly are natural predators. But with the butterflies you take the good with the bad since they will eat other beneficial worms.

I'll decide tomorrow which method to use and i will be sure to document it.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Little update.

I did a lugols iodine dip since i heard it also kills them. I used about a gallon of water, 50 drops of lugols iodine, and 10 drops of flatworm exit. I left all the zoos in there for 20 minutes. I killed alot of little pods and what not, but the good goes with the bad. The nudi's seemed to have died as they were easy to blow off and i didn't see any movement. After the dip, i used a baster to blow fresh seawater over them and blow off any dead ones. I saw eggs, some i removed, the others i noticed afterwards. Therefore i am prepared to treat again soon. I might stick with this treatment again, but i will decide then.

The best part about it is that there was no damage to the zoos. They were opened up immediately after placing them back. They also opened up more, and the ones that were closed are showing good signs. So i was pretty happy.

Do you guys think i can use that same dip for all corals or no?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: