reefer-nyc

One Evil Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am using ESV and it says 1.5 ml per gallon- insane. That would be 10 doses out of a 32oz bottle. I started with 5ml on the 90. What would be the right dose? My Mg is at 1000 right now according to Salifert. Thanks, Phil

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
If your Mg is at 1000, then it is extremely low. To get to 1300 or 1350 you would need about 4 lbs of mag flakes but that's just an example. Raising Mg does not affect your Ca or Alk so you can raise it all at once or you can raise it over a course of 2-3 days.
Using hobby grade Mg products are insanely expensive but use what you have. The instructions on the bottle will probably pertain to an "average" dosage once or twice per week to maintain Mg levels (at least this is how Seachem does it), you will probably need a ton more to get your levels up from 1000 to 1300.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Your initial application will be high. Raising Mg from 1000 to 1300 is a lot. You should not raise the level more than about 100 ppm per day. However, after you've reached the ideal level, maintenance doses will be drastically lower.

swimmer

Kedd

25   0   0
Masterswimmer is correct.

Do you have a lot of coraline?(entire tank)
If so, by dosing MAG, the dose will be more, but the 2 part B-ionic will wiil be ballanced at a 1to1 ratio.
Tank will be happy.
At least my tank is.

Kedd

reefer-nyc

One Evil Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for the calculator. I have heard Mg raises salinity. Is that true? I have been dosing very low amounts 5ml per day. I have very little coraline due to 1000w of mh lighting on a 90 gallon reef. My nitrates are 0 and PH is 8.3. I have 0 phosphates as well. My coral growth is great and fish are happy.
I will test again and start dosing larger amounts until maintenance is reached. Thanks Guys. Kedd I heard you had flatworms? Is it true, did you take your tank down? Phil

Kedd

25   0   0
I don't know now, I dipped almost all corals in Pro cure and some in fresh water, and nothing.

But yes I have started to tear it down, It was getting overgrown anyway.
I starting with all frags again( of my stuff) and the mother colonies will go to a good home.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: