Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was at the vet today talking about interceptor treatments on reef tanks.

She said that the active ingredient in the tablets are not evenly distributed throughout the pill. So if you use a Large Breed Tablet and split it up for multiple treatments. There is a chance that Most of the active ingredient could be in one dose and another dose be nothing but that delicious beefy flavor.

She recommended using a pill that is suited to the size of your system and using the entire pill. So i will continue to use my pills for my small dogs on my tank and just get replacements as needed instead of getting a box of the large pills strictly for my tank.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'm not sure what you mean by correct disposal method so probably no lol

she was intrigued to hear about it's use in Reef Aquaria and said she had heard about it being used for mites in reptiles before but never coral. But added that it makes sense that it would work.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
what we need is a source for the meds in interceptor, the beef flavor just gets in the way. and I don't think the corals really care what it tastes like :)

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
...She said that the active ingredient in the tablets are not evenly distributed throughout the pill.....

How did she come up with that conclusion? I doubt that it is true. If the active ingradient is not evenly distributed in one pill, how can the manufacturer be sure that one pill has the same amount of active ingradient as the other. They don't make one pill at a time and add the active ingradient in each pill.:scratch: May be she is just trying to sell you the small pills for the small dog instead of the large ones and have you split them which can turn out cheaper.

Last edited:

Nsr250NYC

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
regal, i think he meant cutting up the pill. the ingradient is not evenly distributed in ONE pill so when you break up the pill, some piece might have more, and some might not have any. correct me if i'm wrong?

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
regal, i think he meant cutting up the pill. the ingradient is not evenly distributed in ONE pill so when you break up the pill, some piece might have more, and some might not have any. correct me if i'm wrong?

I know exactly what you/he meant. I just don't think the ingradient is not evenly distributed in ONE pill. Read my post again and see if it makes sense.

Nsr250NYC

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
maybe half of the pill is all beef flavor and other half is the ingradient? but the pill still gets the recommanded amount of dosage. now if you break the pill in half (just so happens that it's exactly where the ingradient seperates the flavor), you use 2 doses on your tank, one will get all the ingradient (too much actually) and the second dose will only get the beef flavor (no ingradient). I hope I'm making sense. :smile:

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I know exactly what you/he meant. I just don't think the ingradient is not evenly distributed in ONE pill. Read my post again and see if it makes sense.

actually Regal you are completely right..and it is an FDA requirement that pills are homogeneous. False alarm, sorry folks.

The vet should have known better. And even worse I should know better since im in the industry, anyway here is a link.

http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/98fr/992635gd.pdf

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
actually Regal you are completely right..and it is an FDA requirement that pills are homogeneous. False alarm, sorry folks.

The vet should have known better. And even worse I should know better since im in the industry, anyway here is a link.

http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/98fr/992635gd.pdf

I agree, that manufactring concerns would dictate that the pill be homogenous, but a qucik review of the above referenced document, indicates that it only applies to certain classes of drugs, and furthermore there is dicta in it that indicates that it might not be applicable to drugs not ment for human consumption.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: