P

Pedro

Ok guys, i used to use this back in the days and it worked fine. I did however use it to also aid in the precipitation of phosphate which is something that i see alot of aquarists trying to get rid off. It seems that alot of people had done away with adding kalkwasser yet it is so highly recommended by all professionals.

I am going to start using it again as an experiment for myself. I want to dump it into the overflow from my top off and then let the skimmer absorb the precipitated phosphate. Also i think it will keep my PH at a higher level than it is now.

Any opinions on the use of kalkwasser or if you still use it can you share your results.

Thanks.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
My understanding is the Kalk will precipitate out the phosphate in your top off water while it is mixing into Kalkwasser. isn't that's why they said to dump out the sludge at the bottom of the mixing vessel?

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Also, I've seen a lot of guys running 2 part and adding kalk in their top off water. Most of them run PO4 reactors, yet still have high PO4 and they can't figure out why. Phosban sucks up much more than phosphate. Alkalinity being one of them. I have no proof, but something common with those who dose 2 part and Kalk tend to have PO4 issues. I think it's that too much alkalinity is saturating the Phosban prematurely making it ineffective, yet people will still try to go 6 months without changing it.
I posted this in another thread. This is just in case you plan to dose 2 part and Kalk.
I don't feel Kalk precipitates much PO4. A PO4 reactor pulls out quite a bit. I'm not too sure adding kalk and exhausting Phosban is good.
However, I've seen tons of great tanks who don't use 2 part or PO4 reactors. Just calcium and kalk reactors.
Just throwing this out there for you to think about and assess. Hope it works out.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Oh so you're saying that by adding kalk the rowaphos will react negatively to it in that in effect they will counter each other? See way back then i used to use kalk, but i never had a phosban reactor running. I didn't use bionic either from what i remember. I think i stopped using the kalk when i went the bionic route. So i am not sure what to think now. Maybe i will try a 5gal bucket for now just to see, although i doubt i'll see any results in such a short time. Aside from the phosban/rowa issue, is there any negative effect between still using the bionic and kalk? I'm just thinking back to the good old days...

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
I using kalkwassermixer all my life ;)

I dosing only in the night time, kalkwasser dripping very slow from 12:00am to 6:00am, around 1 gal (190 gal tank, 60 gal sump).

regards,
mark

N

naka

Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
There is a theory that Kalkwasser will bind to phosphate in your tank, which will make phosphate removal almost impossible as your tank ages. It just a theory that Habib (Salifert) brought up. People been using Kalkwasser for years w/ no ill effect, but since the craze for low nutrient and phosphate removing methods, lots of people have elected not to use Kalkwasser.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I using kalkwassermixer all my life ;)

I dosing only in the night time, kalkwasser dripping very slow from 12:00am to 6:00am, around 1 gal (190 gal tank, 60 gal sump).

regards,
mark
me too. i use a dosing pump on a timer.
i use it to boost ph at nite, n maintain ca/alk
i dose ca in my reserve n alk when needed.

Last edited:

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0

So kalk and phosban is not a good combination?

I have seen many people drip kalk and use phos reactors.....

Whats the deal?

N

naka

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So kalk and phosban is not a good combination?

I have seen many people drip kalk and use phos reactors.....

Whats the deal?
There is no problem using Phosban (GFO) to remove phosphate from your tank. I'm saying that kalkwasser when left in tank water might bind w/ phosphate already present in your tank. Therefore, it's very hard to export it out b/c of precipitation. No GFO will remove binded phosphate from your tank water.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: