deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
though i am far from advanced,i am one who has had problems with nitrates and i could never seem to get them down below 20ppm.with my new setup i have been doing a 10% water change every week in an attempt to bring down my numbers.i use RO water this time around as my first setup was basicly tapwater which i thought was the reasons for my nitrates.now its more like whats going on if i attempted to do everything right why am i still having this issue? could it be my dsb? i have gotten to the point of frustration with this issue and have some what gave in to my nitrate issues.though i always read up on this topic i have yet to find a solution.though i believe i will continue to struggle in this department i feel i have failed in some way,not sure of what to do but i still copntinue to search.QUESTION: CAN SOMEONE P[OST A PIC OR DESCRIBE WHAT IS DINOFLAGELLATES PLEASE.thank you

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Interesting article. The idea that the zooxanthellae may be competing with the host coral in a high nitrate environment is especially interesting.

Personally, I would hesitate to add any of the chemical reactors/additives to my system that the article describes. It seems like every time you add one of those, it leads to some other imbalance (i.e. - add Phosban, lower your alkalinity). I think effective skimming, maybe some wisely placed filter socks to catch excess food that drains from the tank, and macro algae is the best option for getting rid of nitrate.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I thought it was very basic, as Dean mentioned. I disagree with "ways of dealing with nitrates" IMO the only way to deal with nitrates is:

1. preventing it's addition to your water by eliminating sources of nitrate;
A. Poor quality food or frozen food that has not been rinsed thoroughly
B. Places where detritus can accumulate and break down
2. Proper removal
A. Proper and aggressive skimming will remove "mung" before it can break down into nitrate.
B. Water changes

I think Denitrators are dumb. Change your water, it does more than just lower your nitrates.

Macro algae is food and shouldn't be used as a nitrate remover. That process can backfire and do more harm than good.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
ellebelle, I been hearing a lot about phosban lowering po4 lately, I haven't experienced the same.
According to this article effective skimming will not reduce nitrates. I've experienced the opposite on many different occasions.

Deelucky, I believe DINOFLAGELLATES are a thin transparent brown/green layer on the rock or sand bed that grows long and blows with the "current" Not 100% sure though. I'm not an algae expert.

bergerd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Excellent review article on nitrates; comprehensive, unbiased, sound advise. If reefers need a good review or a beginning place to understand the significance of nitrates in the aquarium, this is a good review article to read.

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Deelucky, I believe DINOFLAGELLATES are a thin transparent brown/green layer on the rock or sand bed that grows long and blows with the "current" Not 100% sure though. I'm not an algae expert.
ok just have to be sure,though i have none of this if somebody is certain and agrees with jackson lmk,not trying to get off the topic,or hijack.thnx.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Effective skimming will reduce nitrates because it removes some of the things that break down to produce nitrates.

I think that macroalgae can work for nutrient export if it is done properly. (I'm not say that I am doing it properly, but I think when it's done well it is extremely effective.)

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
what is confusing to me is that ppl say use "macro",but monitor because it can eventually release everything back in the tank,then you hear "skimming" oh that seaclone is trash,you buy a bigger skimmer and trates are still high. your "bio-load" is to high,not enough "flow",so on and so on.here is a quick run down on my system 90 gal rr,ro,8 fish 100lbs ls and 100+ lbs in lr 8 fish,feed alot,asm g3 skimmer.can someone point out my problem.if im getting off topic please stop me and ill try to get back on.thnx

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Effective skimming will only reduce nitrates when combined with another method (water changes, macroalgae, etc) to remove nitrates from the water column. The skimming will help to prevent to addition of NEW nitrates from the breakdown of organics. However, as Rich detailed in an old thread, he often did water changes via wet skimming. Those water changes, in of itself, would reduce nitrates incrementally.

As I understand foam fractionation, nitrates are not removed by the same chemical/physical mechanisms that organics are; i.e. they are not atrracted :flirt: to the air/water interface.

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Deelucky, this is my thread and I say you can go off topic all you want :D In this case your "off topic" still falls under the topic of this thread.

Deelucky the ASM g3 is a good skimmer but you can't rely solely on this for cleaning your tank. With 8 fish that are fed a lot on a 90gal you will need to keep up with your water changes and possibly run phosban to keep your phosphates in check (especially if you see algae in your reef) Micron bags and carbon aren't a bad idea either

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
thnx J.ok now since this tank is still basicly new i have been staying on top of it,but l i have injured my knee so water change hasnt been done in two weeks,compared to the 10% every week i feel its been very long,the most i have been able to do is top off and changing the filter sox.i have been considering getting the phosban and running carbon and these things remain on the top of the must do list.as far as algae goes,i only have to clean my glass once every 4 or 5 days (not saying that this is an indication of good things).but agian my fight in getting these trates down has been a complete failure.:(

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Deelucky, what type of fish do you have and what are you feeding them and how much?

How deep is your sand bed?
2 false percs,stripe damsel,chalk bass,cherub angel,lopezi and yellow tang,blue throat trigger.and i feed them small pellets.i havent gave any mysis in quite awhile.at times i drop in a cube of frozen formula 2,algae sheet for tangs.my sand bed is about 3" deep i think havent measured but something like that.oh the pellets ill give a pinch maybe 4x a day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: