jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Rich you can get a water tanker and bring all your friends their water changes. Paul B can supply the mud :) bacteria for everybody !

Is the same bacteria going to be living off our shores that are found in the reefs? does it matter?

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Not to digress, but it sounds like this project is really taking off. I'm sure there must be a limit to how much shaun can do (where that limit is, who knows). Would anyone be interested in donating to this project to offer shaun an "MR sponsored grant" to continue this research?

if so, PM me and I can start a separate thread for that, please dont respond on this thread to avoid sidetracking it.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Albert if funds are needed I would let Shaun or any other direct parties handle it. Many of us would be willing to donate, including myself. Once Shaun responds to this matter I would act on a donation if needed.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Albert if funds are needed I would let Shaun or any other direct parties handle it. Many of us would be willing to donate, including myself. Once Shaun responds to this matter I would act on a donation if needed.
agreed, i had no intention of handling it, just wanted to bring up the idea really to see if ppl would be interested in it.
and now back to bacteria...

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Not to digress, but it sounds like this project is really taking off. I'm sure there must be a limit to how much shaun can do (where that limit is, who knows). Would anyone be interested in donating to this project to offer shaun an "MR sponsored grant" to continue this research?

if so, PM me and I can start a separate thread for that, please dont respond on this thread to avoid sidetracking it.
Albert, THANKS :D for the kind suggestion and thoughtfulness. I appreciate it, however, I am fine with resources. If ever I need help I am sure that the MR community will be there when needed, :grouphug: !

Last edited:

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Shaun, you've got me curious on the NSW. As you know, I have pretty easy access to the ocean. I may have to do some testing and maybe some SMALL NSW WC's to see what happens. My corals are brave and have been through worse :D
Rich, I think you need to collect water from depth and on the incoming tide (as per the Boston guys suggestions). However, I am still neutral on NSW collection. I am sure it is good and has its many benefits over the salt mixes we use, but I am sure there are ways to increase the planktonic bacterial levels and biodiversity without having to lug gallons of water from the ocean to ones home. Not every reefer has the access that you or PaulB has to the ocean, making it difficult for many to acquire NSW.

Last edited:

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
This is very interesting as I have been telling people to add natural bacteria to their tanks for many years. I myself have been adding water and bacteria from the Sound since the seventees. ................................................. I have no Idea what types of bacteria I may have in that tank but no doubt some strains have been in there since Nixon was President :smokin:
Have a great day.
Paul
Its always great and refreshing to hear your prespective Paul. The longevity of your tank may indeed be due to your NSW infusions.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You can get the biodiversity of NSW without adding actual NSW, as I said, I usually take mud and put it in a dish in my reef for a few days, then remove the mud. The bacteria, copepods ect. exit the mud and I don't have to actually put that stuff in my tank. Since this is "Manhattan Reefs" most of us live a short distance from the water. It does not have to be a beach and actually a beach is too clean. I collect mostly from boat ramps but there are places in all the boroughs to collect. Not water but bacteria.
Mr reef is much too clean now and it is screaming for some diversity. I really need to go collecting soon. There are a couple of huge tidepools near where I dock my boat, hopefully I will get the boat out soon. I am getting some knee surgery next week and will not be able to go out for a few weeks but I should be retired soon and will be able to do this stuff every day. :biglaugh:

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
You can get the biodiversity of NSW without adding actual NSW, as I said, I usually take mud and put it in a dish in my reef for a few days, then remove the mud. The bacteria, copepods ect. exit the mud and I don't have to actually put that stuff in my tank. Since this is "Manhattan Reefs" most of us live a short distance from the water. It does not have to be a beach and actually a beach is too clean. I collect mostly from boat ramps but there are places in all the boroughs to collect. Not water but bacteria.
Mr reef is much too clean now and it is screaming for some diversity. I really need to go collecting soon. There are a couple of huge tidepools near where I dock my boat, hopefully I will get the boat out soon. I am getting some knee surgery next week and will not be able to go out for a few weeks but I should be retired soon and will be able to do this stuff every day. :biglaugh:

I've been to go collecting in Jamaica Bay some for some random odds and ends. My Tangs would LOVE some of the seaweed I'm sure.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
FWIW, i've noticed (as i'm sure other may have as well) that after mixing up a bit of my sand-bed, all the corals open up and extend their polyps to feed.
Might this likely be due to the benthic bacteria in the system becoming pelagic and available to the corals to feed on?

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I did some bacteria collecting today at my marina. The amphipods are not really out yet but the bacteria is there and it is in a good mood (I think anyway) I collected a bunch of deteriated something, I think it used to be a sponge and I put it in a net in my tank. It is still there bit I will remove the organic stuff tomorrow. The Long Island Sound bacteria will just have to mingle with my tank bacteria on their own. They usually get along fine as I don't hear any arguing :smash:
Paul

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: