alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Really interesting perpective you presented.

Please keep up posted and updated as you continue to study this.

I am sure you can't wait to test more samples to compare, especially some natural seawater as a control.

Keep us in the loop!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Solbby talking about you behind your back. :biggrin:

In all seriousness, he gave a really interesting presentation about some of his pilot data on bacteria populations in different tanks. He used his own tank, yours, and all of Randy's.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
What did I missed?? :(
Pierce, I presented the internal workings of your tank! I'm sorry that you missed it, :( since I would have liked your perspective on husbandry to match up with the bacterial data.

Thanks Albert! it's always great to get feedback (good and bad).

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Thanks Albert! it's always great to get feedback (good and bad).
oh, you wanted the bad too? ok, lose the fancy accent and talk like the rest of us. :tongue:

well i took your advice and now dose antibacterial soap to my tank now that i realized how much bacteria is in it.

needless to say, my skimmer is now foaming like crazy.

if you need a sperm sample, er tank sample, let me know, i'd be happy to contribute (the tank smple that is).

would you, as a result of your findings, be in favor of any of the 'bacterial additives' commercially available?

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Actually, one more question: did you take into account temperatures of the sample systems? considering that certain temps may be optimal for the bacteria?
if the sample systems have temp swings day and night, it may be what affects the populations a bit.
or pH may be a variable as well.
any ideas on how quickly they generate?

sorry for all the questions. just some things that came to mind

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
shaun is it too early to turn your presentation into a thread for discussion?

it got cut much too short, the conversation would have been one of the more interesting ones in a while.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
ack, sorry it's late I did not see what forum it was in :eek:

so how about that bacteria ;)

one thing I found interesting was that it did not matter if the tank was skimmed or not, they all had about the same bacteria count.

I have a question. Shaun's data showed that NSW has ten times the amount of bacteria in the water column. I wonder if the amount of bacteria living in coral is different in our tanks from what it is in nature. and is there more bacteria located in coral than you would find in our live rock.
and last, shaun you stated that the bacteria in coral will break down nitrates? was that right? does that mean there are anaerobic bacteria living in the coral, or does it accomplish the breaking down of NO3 by some other means?

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Dr. Walters,

You discussed marine snow as it occurs in the ocean. What is in the commercial product called Marine Snow?

Thanks,
Leslie :)

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
And do you have any recommendations on how to increase the bacterial populations in our tanks without also increasing nitrates and phosphates? I was thinking that one way might be to dose something like phyto, but the phosphates that go along with that are problematic in the long term.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
What I thought might be interesting, would be to to get samples from tanks that use Natural Seawater, and see if they have a different bacterial count then someone using Artificial Sea Water.

I think Paul uses NSW in his tank.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I'm so sorry I missed this. I also wonder about some of the *vit products such as Fauna Marin's which uses many strains of bacteria as well as proteins, amino acids and other such goodies.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
WOW! you guys are hitting me with great questions here. I would have loved to have addressed them verbally in person at the presentation. We could have had a great discussion. I was just about to elaborate on sugar usage when we had to leave the room............

As for addressing the questions here I will do my best to answer them, however the answers to all the questions above are not simple and in some cases require an in depth answer.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Feel free to elaborate on sugar usage.

I've seen the "using sugar to drop nitrates is ridiculous" threads
I've seen "sugar kills reefs" articles
I've seen people great great growth and color with pappone
I've heard of disasters from pappone.

P

Pedro

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Yeah it was a bummer that it had to get cut short, it was starting to get really interesting.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: