Breezp

Reef Geek
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
yea i live in yonkers right outside of corss county. i also have two clams. One from house and one from a friend. Dont be discouraged by ur loss.

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one question. you said that you've had the pc lighting and tank for about the same legnth of time. Are they the original pc bulbs or hav eyou changed them ?

Ohh and welcome aboard sorry the clam went

Yes they are as long as the tank is in existence: (3.5 years). They are 65 Watts each; actinic and daylight

Thanks

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have the 20" 150 hqi over my 24, it's nice but I like jim am not too sure that light starvation was the only contributing factor to the clam passing on. I will say that if you want to upgrade your lighting I am all for it, it a step in a great direction. It could be depleted trace elements like calcium, strontium etc and the swings you have in the tank because of it's size may have contributed. It could also have been pinched mantle disease.

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 20" 150 hqi over my 24, it's nice but I like jim am not too sure that light starvation was the only contributing factor to the clam passing on. I will say that if you want to upgrade your lighting I am all for it, it a step in a great direction. It could be depleted trace elements like calcium, strontium etc and the swings you have in the tank because of it's size may have contributed. It could also have been pinched mantle disease.

Interesting you should mention pinched mantle disease. I did notice a little over two weeks ago, a small section of mantle did look as if something had taken a 'nip' out of it. The rest of the mantle was fine...

I cerrainly have trouble keeping both alkalinity and calcium high enough. Seems like if one is higher the other gets lower (or calcium precipitates out). This hobby is a pain!!!

Last edited:
S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think that the age of the pcs are an issue themselves. Like chief said they should be changed out about every 6 mos or so. But that probably wasn't the only factor. If your going to upgrade the lighting great. I would dose two every day if your clac and alk levels are on point.

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the age of the pcs are an issue themselves. Like chief said they should be changed out about every 6 mos or so. But that probably wasn't the only factor. If your going to upgrade the lighting great. I would dose two every day if your clac and alk levels are on point.

Thanks...what would you dose two every day?

I took the clam to work today and and looked at the tissue very closely under the microscope by getti ng some path slides made and asked for a consult from a pathology frend of mine.

He said that the cells appeared to shrunken as well as emaciated. This would explain the theory some of you have that this might be long term starvation. Obviously the lighting was inadequate since the animal was alive until the last minute.......

Thanks for everything guys

Mario

S

steveo32

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose 2 part bionic for calc annd alk. But I would test before you dose anything make sure you need what you are dosing.

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose 2 part bionic for calc annd alk. But I would test before you dose anything make sure you need what you are dosing.

Thanks.

I did an analysis of why the animal died and came to the following conclusion

Long term starvation is the likely culprit. Being that nothing else has died (so far) as well as the other clam of the same species further up towards the light is doing well, this could be the reason. I did notice that eight months ago the clams bysall (sp) treads did not continue to anchor it in place. I changed location to be at the bottom of the tank. With four fish continually swimming around it, the mantle would contract continually in response to their shadow stimuli.

I have invested in the SunPod today. So lets see what happens

Regards

Mario

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: