Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 26 gallon nano with a crocea (2) actually.
The first I have had for a little under a year. Over the last month or so, the mantle has shrunk and it seems now the mantle is not opening.

I have compact florescents. Is this slow starvation? I have done and checked the usual tests and water changes....

The clam in question is one the bottom middle section. Now it looks like this..(second pic)-bottom center of picture

Any ideas?

Mario

Attachments

• IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 315

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i c no 2nd pic.
but yes, it probabably is lack of light but may also be PM(pinch mantle)

Wow, thanks for all the emails..I had to resize the second pic..here it is.....

About five months ago it detached from its base but everything was fine.

About four weeks ago the mantle started reducing in size followed by the picture you see now for the last two days with no reaction to physicial stimuli

Attachments

• TEST.jpg
    TEST.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 286

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to inform u this doctor, but i'm afraid from what u said n what i see...
it's a goner
btw:that toadstool is way too big. its blocking half the tanks lights.

Yes I had a wake for him a few minutes ago....May be R.I.P

Now to the post-mortem...in your experience was it the light intensity that was inadequate? Yes the toadstool IS way too big.

"Me' suspects that clams can do well for a while, expecially crocea but then decline over the long term due to light intensity. I cant see any other reason....

Call me Mario BTW

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with your hypothesis. for a small tank with lighting like yours, a small clam (under 3") may have a better chance at survival because it relies less on photosynthesis.

Thanks for the information.
(I am currently upset that this has happened as I hate any animal dying-it is a failure on my part).

I am thinking of investing in the following MH Light fixture. Any ideas? The Compact Flourescents are 24 inches in lenght, so I am assuming the MH fixture will fit. What about heat intensity and effect on the tank temperature? I tried calling Century-USA, but they are closed. Will try tomorrow

24" 1x150w HQI Current USA Sunpod Metal Halide Fixture

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the upgrade in the lighting you are gonna have to re-acclimate the corals in your tank to the new lighting.

Thanks..wow, another reefer from Westchester!! (I hope thats the right word - could mean something else)

How does one do that? Vary the photoperiod from 1 hour or so to 10 hours over a period of a month or so?

Regards

Mario

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i have no experience with double end 150 hqi bulbs but i know they run hotter n generate more heat.
acclimating the lighting can be in terms of photoperiod and or intensity,ie raising the lighting fixure high n slowly lowering.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Mario,

As an advanced reefer and fellow clam lover, I am not 100% convinced the clam was starving from light -

A few things I'd want to know and couldn't find are as follows:

- What is the exact wattage in the tank?
- What were the exact paremeters that you say you have done and checked?
- what test kits were you doing the checks with?
- are other corals in your tank growing or dying (I see a retracted green bubble in there)?
- how often do you do water changes, how much and by what methodology? do you poor new salt water right in? etc.

Since the system is small comparedly, small changes can appear to be dramatic to the system. Do you have an Auto top off? if not, how heavy are your salinity swings (are you testing for that?). Invertebrates are intolerant to salinity swings like that.

So, just a few questions that I'd be interested in knowing before I said what I thought it could be.

Thanks,

House

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks House

1. I dont know what the wattage is, however, they are the Orbit Compact Florescent bulbs, one of them is actinic and the other daylight for 3.5 years now.
2. Parameters: Salinity 1.020, pH 8.0, nitrate trace, phosphate 0, alkalinity is 2.5, calcium is 250mg.dl, (no nitrite or ammonia)
3. Test kits are the Aquarium systems brand
4. All corals are fine. The bubble deflates towards the end of the day.
5. 10 gallon (2X5 a month using Oceanic Sea Salt from Petco) - 2.5 cups of salt in 5 gallons of RO water from Crystal Rock Water Co, Watertown CT dissolved overnight at salinity of 1.025 or so @temp at 80 degrees F.

Tank running for 3.5 years.

Note: The entire experience is one of change.....some corals do great and others not so great. For instance, the kenya Tree coral did ok for 3 years, never great until three months ago, when it had a huge growth spike??? The toad stool coral was 1.0 inches tall, now is 10 inches tall and huge...

I did notice when I used the aquastick three weeks ago to anchor the brain coral and the gorgonian, the skimmer went wild d/t to the anti-surface tension organic molecule in the glue....TERRIBLE!!

When I get the new supply of water this Thursday I plan on another 10 gallon water change gradually. Thats almost 50% water change.

The sea hare in the picture dissappeared two weeks ago when we went on vacation for a week, Cant seem to find it anywhere in the tank.

Regards

Mario

quote=House of Laughter;299654]Mario,

As an advanced reefer and fellow clam lover, I am not 100% convinced the clam was starving from light -

A few things I'd want to know and couldn't find are as follows:

- What is the exact wattage in the tank?
- What were the exact paremeters that you say you have done and checked?
- what test kits were you doing the checks with?
- are other corals in your tank growing or dying (I see a retracted green bubble in there)?
- how often do you do water changes, how much and by what methodology? do you poor new salt water right in? etc.

Since the system is small comparedly, small changes can appear to be dramatic to the system. Do you have an Auto top off? if not, how heavy are your salinity swings (are you testing for that?). Invertebrates are intolerant to salinity swings like that.

So, just a few questions that I'd be interested in knowing before I said what I thought it could be.

Thanks,

House[/quote]

Attachments

• IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 183

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there. I am in Southern Westchester: Bronxville

Thanks for the lighting information.

I am going to do a water change: 50% over the next two weeks and see what happens.

Mario where are you located? I'm in northern westchester.

Here is a link to a thread I started a couple of days ago. Read it it's how I acclimated my tank to the upgraded lighting.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-beginners/26605-light-acclimation-corals.html

It's not gospel but it's a good start.

S

steveo32

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one question. you said that you've had the pc lighting and tank for about the same legnth of time. Are they the original pc bulbs or hav eyou changed them ?

Ohh and welcome aboard sorry the clam went

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: