ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Since algae is the ban and savior for all reef tanks, I would like to get a discussion about algae growth in marine aquariums.

So how do you maintain your bad algae growth in your tank and what can we all do to keep it under check.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Biologically: I have blue Tuxedo Urchins, Snails, and Tangs to keep my algae in check. I also grow macroalgae (Chaetomorpha) in my refugium to complete.

Chemically: I run Phosphate media (Seachem's Phosguard) to keep my PO4 at 0 and thus be a limiting factor in algae growth.

Mechanically: I manually remove what I can.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I have about 100 snails and 100 hermits doing my algea cleaning ,WC and TOns of cheato in my Refuge.
I dont use any thing but carbon as far as Media gos ,I feel that doing frequent water changes help out alot.Restores essential elements .calcium
Also a good flow of water in your tank helps too

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
see Rich's signature.

But seriously, I do think limiting the nutrients through skimming is one of the best ways to cut down on algae.

Also I would like to point out that algae is a normal occurance on reefs.
If you have it growing in your tank it does not mean something is wrong.
It's when the algae takes over a tank that it becomes a nuisance.

In the wild there are thousands of creatures who eat every type of algae out there, we can not possibly compete with that, so in the end it comes down to mechanical and chemical means for most of us.

I use phosban in a reactor to limit the Po4 levels. And I use water changes to keep the nutriants under control. I feed my fish quite a bit.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Even in BB tanks algae still is a major problem, since many algae species can obtain all their energy requirements through photosynthesis. These algae species are the most difficult to deal with since they are completely independent from the nutrient levels present in the tank, i.e. they are able to exist successfully even in a oligotrophic environment.

Heavy skimming also doesn't help completely, since many small molecules are not skimmed out even with heavy skimming.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
The only why I have been able to kill some is by adding mex turbos and also shading parts of the algae(only work on flat surfaces) Here is a pic of a piece of plastic placed on my faux sandbed. When left for about 2-3 weeks all algae underneath seems to die off. But I cant shade the whole tank :)

DSCN1169.jpg

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
BB method is the way I help maintain my algae low not nonexistant

I also have red turf algae but its only to start to spread so Ive epoxied the crap out of the spots that have growth, However my snails have it on their back and I havent found anything that eats it. Eventually i'll have to cook my rock and my snails ;)

I have no competing macroalgae, use carbon, skimmer ture rated 8x my size, tri-weekly WC, and constant sock filtration

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Rich killing off that algae is a double edge sword when the algae dies off in that manner it has to produce nutrients.
I'd scape off as much as possible and siphon it out ( u can borrow my diatom if you like)

I had some thats the way I got rid of mine the rest the tangs and snails take care of

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Frank do you mean when that stuff dies it fuels even more growth? Do you think my skimmer and frequently changed micron bags will be enough to remove any solid or leached waste from the algae?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
NYPDFrogman said:
Rich killing off that algae is a double edge sword when the algae dies off in that manner it has to produce nutrients.
Your right, but there is a time period involved. Just because something dies, doesn't nessesarily mean that its "locked up" nutrients become bio-available immediately. Many levels of degradation occurs when an organism dies.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I've been successfully/unsuccessfully battling hair algae for a long time. My Salifert test kits for PO4, Si, NH2, NH3 show undetectable. Obviously it's there or it wouldn't grow.

I chemically treat with AZ-NO3 (I know, it's a bandaid and not addressing the source). However, with AZ-NO3 it totally eradicates it (hence my statement about successfully battling HA. However, about 5 - 6 weeks later, it starts up again. I run my tests and they are undetectable even when it grows.

I have cheato in my sump, I run carbon 24/7 and I have an oversized Lifereef skimmer. Plenty of snails, crabs and Tangs.

I've resolved myself to the fact, like jh said, that reefs have such an intense biodiversity that can address the algaes overtaking them that we can't possibly recreate that in our glass boxes.

I just try to keep it under control and manageable. Seems like it's an inevitable reef related issue.

master

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I've been lucky with this tank and having no algae problems. So far all I have is coralline, sadly some of it is green :irked:. Other than that I get the slight film on the glass every 3-5 days.

All my clean crew consists of is a yellow tang, algae blenny, 2 astreas, and some little tiny snails that come out in the night. Nearly forgot my 1 red leg hermit that survived my interceptor treatment.

-Kris

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
With hair algae i try to pull it off, and get it out. Also brushing the area with a filter brush or toothbrush seems to help, you see stuff coming off the rock and in time the algae dies off.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Frank do you mean when that stuff dies it fuels even more growth? Do you think my skimmer and frequently changed micron bags will be enough to remove any solid or leached waste from the algae?
In my opinion yes when it dies off it will fuel more growth, exactly how long it takes I'm not sure.

Removal is proably the best way like I said scape it and filter out at the same time. I did mine with a power head since than I've bought a XL diatom just to vaccum up stuff like that

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: