alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Anyone have a salifert copper testkit that I could borrow for 1 test?
i might have one too, i can check when i get home.
if i do, it may also be like 2 yrs old, i dont know what the shelf life is on the kit, you'd have to ask habib when you get the batch#'s to double check.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have a 6 month old seachem copper test kit.

I don't know when I could get it to you, mailing it might be faster.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks Jon :)

I actually just got my hands on an Aquarium Pharmecutical copper testkit and my tank water has .25 copper (my ro/di is 0). So there is copper in my aquarium, not a lot, but enough to do some damage. This is really discouraging. I had a better survival rate in my 65gal with bare bone equipment

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
it leached out.. that sucks.... i guess big water change is in effect...
would a poly filter take any of that crapola from the rust out...

Yep :)

Dave it's kind of hard to go barebones on a larger tank......I would if I could.

P

Pedro

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Rich,

Tunze sells an adapter, not sure if you've heard of it, that allowas you to use the pump of your choice. Ask Roger about that, i forgot the price, maybe in the $40's. But it's an alternative.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Thanks Jon :)

I actually just got my hands on an Aquarium Pharmecutical copper testkit and my tank water has .25 copper (my ro/di is 0). So there is copper in my aquarium, not a lot, but enough to do some damage. This is really discouraging. I had a better survival rate in my 65gal with bare bone equipment
WOW Rich! Your lucky you caught it. You were a fraction away from a completely tank melt down with that copper reading. VERY CLOSE CALL!

You should do multiple water changes over the next week or two, and get some polyfilter in that tank ASAP!

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks Pedro! I'll ask Roger about that. I didn't know that there was an adapter

Shaun I have a polyfilter in there now and I'm about to do a 30% WC. I gained some experience with that last mag pump so I knew what to look for this time, thanks to you.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Rich sorry to hear about the rust issues. Not sorry to hear that you caught it in time! Good catch. That's how I see the best reefs kept, by the reefer 'knowing' his system better than tests. You knew something was going on, however minor it was, and you caught it. That shows an experienced reefer to me.

What kind of screws is everyone switching to on their mag drives?

Thanks,
Russ

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks Guys.
Russ I actually did have the same experience before thats how i was able to identify it. Whenever I see some different from the norm behavior from my SPS I check everything possible..... water paramaters, parasites, electrical current, and from now on, pumps.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
.25 copper? damn Rich:bigeyes2:

how did the pump leech out copper?
what part would tunze of all companies use that did this?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: