jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
ulmo said:
Rich,

I'm glad you caught this. I didn't know that pumps contain copper. Makes you wonder if there are any reefsafe pumps?

I never hear anyone complain about eheims. I really don't see many complaints about external pumps aside from heat and noise.

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
This is the part# for the switch that connects to the osmolator:
Switched socket outlet 3150.11 Cost= $58.34

0e6d146cdc.jpg

You can use any pump you want as a feed. Make sure you ask for the 115V version or you will get the European version.

Last edited:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
a Deanos style answer:​
poweheads_aquarium_systems_maxi-jet.jpg

you're welcome to pass by anytime you want to check it out.

perhaps it would be worth starting a thread on Top-Offs. (interested people would probably not look for it under "Rust")

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I spoke with Roger via PM. He was very sympathetic and offered his advice to clear the copper out of the tank. He even offered me a frag pack to cover my losses. Supposedly this happened only one other time and it was cause by back siphioning of salt water, which did happen a few times when my sump level was a bit to high. Roger also explained how this pump was really the only option because it would take a much larger powerhead to push the water through the head, and running a dosing pump would make the unit much more expensive... Since this has happened so few times I will use the replacement pump and be sure it is impossible for it to back siphion. I will test for copper regularly as well.
I doo still think this pump is a piece of crap but you can't beat Tunze customer service!

Here's some of the damage :( I glued over a few pieces to stop the STN
DSCN1260.jpg

DSCN1268.jpg

DSCN1261.jpg

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
thats nice of him (to offer you a frag pack) it really pays to deal with reputable companies.
is he replacing the pump for free?
maybe put a check valve on the line to avoid a back-siphon again.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Yes he is also replacing the pump for free. As for the back siphion, I plan on having the feed tube suspended above the sump (line is not submerged) so it can't back siphion

more damage pics
DSCN1265.jpg

2978ae70.jpg

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Very cool. But there are pumps that can supply the head pressure cheaply. Ehiem is one and wont have to be replaced every 6 months which can be opened, cleaned and checked. I dont understand why he would tell you that. A Maxijet 1200 can do it too. Why would back siphoning do that to the pump ?? You have to explain that one to me... Why is it filled with oil and not epoxy filled especially if it is a replaceable/disposable pump ?? Whats up with the copper ??

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
My questions are the exact same as Pseudo's. The pump is meant to run SW through it. What difference does it make which direction the flow is coming from? I am confused (but I like the word befuddled, better :lol: )

Russ

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
All inductive motor base are basically some metal plates wrapped in copper wire. It is than glued (call "potting") to seal out the moisture. The oil is probably the potting agent breaking down from the heat, at least that was the case in Rios.

Rich, email me the pictures. I can't see them from work. I can get my hands on a few used large Ehiems if you need one. Is your RO tank higher than your sump? Why don't you just let it gravity feed with a electric solenoid controlled by the float switch. My set up is like this and no pump is involved.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: