kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I assume by overwhelming the tank with that bacteria strain, sounds logical to me. Maybe solbby can chime in here.

All I would be trying to do is help get as much of the right bacteria to colonize the rock, tank and substrate.

Last edited:

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
they use nitrates in the water to grow. Julian Sprungs conference was where we learned that they require small amounts of nitrate to grow. not like 5 ppm or some thing like that. THEY DO REQUIRE nitrate but not in these escalated levels.

Get the system very low in nutrients; can be done in different ways, I'm trying to do it with an oversized skimmer.

*Get the right bacteria dominating in the tank.

Blast the corals with hella uniform light.

*Then feed the corals directly.

There's no such thing as getting the right bacteria in the tank. how do you get a certain strain of bacteria in your tank.
..... basically the problem with bb is that there is very little to no denitrification. I really dont think bacteria will play a role in the aquarium because of the constant siphoning and skimming along with no sand.

Blasting the corals with uniform light is not true. Reffering to Tullio at the conference his LED's were 1 watt each. Having 400 w bulbs is not the answer with blasting corals with hella light. There are specific spectrums which coral require for growth. These bulbs which we use are not made specifically for coral growth and are only for pleasing the eye. Its the type of spectrum and par that the bulb must let out. It's not stronger the better. NONE OF THESE halide bulbs are specifically for the use in the aquaria. The only proven bulb of readings such as kelvin are 10k. anything above 10k is merely a guess on its rating.

Directly feeding the corals is definitely not required or necessary. The fish poo is all the corals need.

Last edited:

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Deanos said:
So you're shifting your focus from aquaculturing coral to growing bacteria?

Nah, lol.

jackson6745 said:
I hear ya but what is the right bacteria and how do you gather it to introduce into your system?

Just going to buy some and throw it in the tank every few weeks or months. Nothing complicated, let the bacteria do the rest. We grow bacteria when we cycle a tank, we don't do anything special but put some some organics in and let nature do the rest.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
dude the corals use trace amounts of nitrate and this trace amount of nitrate is beneficial to coral growth. You dont just go buy some bacteria and put it in the tank.

What type of bacteria do you buy that you can name for me that you put in your tank ? (kimoyo)

LIMITING , we are not understanding eachother im talking about trace elements of nitrate not like 10 ppm. Whoever was at NERAC and heard sprung's conference please put some input on him talking about the use of nitrate in the aquaria while speaking about old tank syndrome.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
aaron23 said:
they use nitrates in the water to grow. Julian Sprungs conference was where we learned that they require small amounts of nitrate to grow. not like 5 ppm or some thing like that. THEY DO REQUIRE nitrate but not in these escalated levels.

There's no such thing as getting the right bacteria in the tank. how do you get a certain strain of bacteria in your tank.
..... basically the problem with bb is that there is no denitrification. I really dont think bacteria will play a role in the aquarium because of the constant siphoning and skimming along with no sand.

Blasting the corals with uniform light is not true. Reffering to Tullio at the conference his LED's were 1 watt each. Having 400 w bulbs is not the answer with blasting corals with hella light. There are specific spectrums which coral require for growth. These bulbs which we use are not made specifically for coral growth and are only for pleasing the eye. Its the type of spectrum and par that the bulb must let out. It's not stronger the better. NONE OF THESE halide bulbs are specifically for the use in the aquaria. The only proven bulb of readings such as kelvin are 10k. anything above 10k is merely a guess on its rating.

Directly feeding the corals is definitely not required or necessary. The fish poo is all the corals need.

Aaron, take a step back and read. I understand your pumped from the conference but there are a lot of holes in what your saying and you don't understand.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
aaron23 said:
dude the corals use trace amounts of nitrate and this trace amount of nitrate is beneficial to coral growth. You dont just go buy some bacteria and put it in the tank.

What type of bacteria do you buy that you can name for me that you put in your tank ?

Since you want to prove your point, how do the corals use nitrate?

Why can't you buy bacteria strains? They've been selling for a while.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Aaron, please stop editing your posts because I'm answering and then having to answer twice. But I'm ready to listen to what you have to say.

aaron23 said:

What type of bacteria do you buy that you can name for me that you put in your tank ? (kimoyo)

LIMITING , we are not understanding eachother im talking about trace elements of nitrate not like 10 ppm. Whoever was at NERAC and heard sprung's conference please put some input on him talking about the use of nitrate in the aquaria while speaking about old tank syndrome.

I wasn't at NERAC, so you will have to explain to me how nitrates are beneficial for coral growth.

Last edited:

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
i dont believe i am wrong, there may be some holes but its summed up.
if ur telling me we can buy bacteria strains which bacteria strains do we buy?
i told you they use nitrates to grow

dreko

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Paul
rich asked you what you planned on doing differently

"I was thinking about doing this before I read that thread, I only saw it this morning. But he said some really interesting things in there.

Get the system very low in nutrients; can be done in different ways, I'm trying to do it with an oversized skimmer.
*Then feed the corals directly."

I'm just curious about your setup, have been reading this thread, and I'm trying to learn.
No need to get your panties in a bunch

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
dreko said:
Paul
rich asked you what you planned on doing differently

"I was thinking about doing this before I read that thread, I only saw it this morning. But he said some really interesting things in there.

*Then feed the corals directly."

I'm just curious about your setup, have been reading this thread, and I'm trying to learn.
No need to get your panties in a bunch

I'm sorry you took it as me getting my panties in a bunch, but thats a hard question to quantify and I was trying to understand your question better to answer it properly. But nevermind.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: