aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
Again i've told you he did not go into specifics as to HOW IN DETAIL the nitrates are beneficial in coral growth. You had to be there i dont really want to explain his conference.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
aaron23 said:
Again i've told you he did not go into specifics as to HOW IN DETAIL the nitrates are beneficial in coral growth. You had to be there i dont really want to explain his conference.

Aaron, are you arguing something you don't understand then :tired:. How do you know what they were saying at the conference is correct? Or better yet how do you know if your remembering it correctly ;)

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
aaron23 said:
Marubini, F., and P.S. Davies. 1996. Nitrate increases zooxanthellae population density and reduces skeletogenesis in corals. Mar Biol 127: 319-28.

Aaron, I posted this reference on the first page (my third post) and I've actually read it. Have you read it yet? :)

Thats saying that nitrate is a badddd thing for corals. Reducing skeletogenesis is the opposite of growth and will eventually kill the coral. They say that in the article.

Last edited:

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
ok bad example lol i have no example others will fend for me that heard the same thing.

i just did a google and read parts where it read nitrate.

thats what i said before i have no example heard it from the conference. Stop pestering me asking me about examples and specific details i dont ahve them for you and you're asking the wrong person merely stating the observation heard from a professional.

Last edited:

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
aaron23 said:
ok bad example i have no example others will fend for me that heard the same thing.

Aaron, why don't you just read this thread? There is a bunch of good stuff in it. At least read the first two pages and then maybe you will get into it. Then we can come back and continue to have a discussion here.

BUT please stop erasing stuff. BTW, I'm not erasing my quotes from you :lol2:.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
aaron23 said:
ok bad example lol i have no example others will fend for me that heard the same thing.

thats what i said before i have no example heard it from the conference. Stop pestering me asking me about examples and specific details i dont ahve them for you and you're asking the wrong person merely stating the observation heard from a professional.

Please, please stop doing that. Making a post and then after someone replies changing the post. You did it on like 4 or 5 post in last 2 pages.

But you have to understand that if your going to say something that doesn't make sense, people will ask you to explain. I wasn't at NERAC so I don't know what they said or know if you understand it correctly to tell me. It really seemed like you wanted to get your point across so I decided to listen to what you had to say. If you don't want to talk about it then we don't have to.

sci33

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe Sprung was making a reference to the corals using trace amounts of nitrates and phosphates in their growth processes. Although he didn't say whether this comment was directed towards any specific coral, he was speaking about corals in general. Regardless of this mention to a coral's traits, high nitrates and phosphates will still be unhealthy for sps while clams may be more tolerant due to their nitrate consumption. If anyone was at NERAC and heard Sprung's full comments maybe you can clarify this for us.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I just want to briefly explain a few things.

aaron23 said:
There's no such thing as getting the right bacteria in the tank. how do you get a certain strain of bacteria in your tank.
..... basically the problem with bb is that there is very little to no denitrification. I really dont think bacteria will play a role in the aquarium because of the constant siphoning and skimming along with no sand.

We're not talking about bb here. But we haven't been able to keep an aquarium without bacteria. The reason live rock is so important is because it house all sorts of bacteria. Until live rock it was extremely difficult to keep livestock alive. And thats what cycling your tank is all about. Your getting your bacteria populations up to a point where then can support life in your tank.

aaron23 said:
Blasting the corals with uniform light is not true. Reffering to Tullio at the conference his LED's were 1 watt each. Having 400 w bulbs is not the answer with blasting corals with hella light. There are specific spectrums which coral require for growth. These bulbs which we use are not made specifically for coral growth and are only for pleasing the eye. Its the type of spectrum and par that the bulb must let out. It's not stronger the better. NONE OF THESE halide bulbs are specifically for the use in the aquaria. The only proven bulb of readings such as kelvin are 10k. anything above 10k is merely a guess on its rating.

I'm not sure what you mean that by "blasting the corals with uniform light is not true" because i haven't told you what I'm trying to do or how I'm planning on doing it. Yes there are some optimal wavelengths for growing corals but the rest of it doesn't make sense to me.

aaron23 said:
Directly feeding the corals is definitely not required or necessary. The fish poo is all the corals need.

Most things aren't required in this hobby and there are all sorts of different ways to keep our reef tanks.

Last edited:

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
sci33 said:
I believe Sprung was making a reference to the corals using trace amounts of nitrates and phosphates in their growth processes. Although he didn't say whether this comment was directed towards any specific coral, he was speaking about corals in general. Regardless of this mention to a coral's traits, high nitrates and phosphates will still be unhealthy for sps while clams may be more tolerant due to their nitrate consumption. If anyone was at NERAC and heard Sprung's full comments maybe you can clarify this for us.

If he was speaking about clams then yeah and I told Aaron that on AIM. But sps corals need a nitrogen source not nitrates. It would be good if someone knew what was said.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
kimoyo said:
I think we need to get the right amount of the right bacteria in our tanks. Anyway, I hope you guys are down to have a good discussion this week.
Besides the right bacteria you need the right microenvironments for the bacteria to perform the function that you want them to do.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
nobody really understood it. That specific subject in his presentation was very general but im merely just stating what he said. Yes some clarification.

Last edited:

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Solbby,

I would dose Vodka (or sugar) but Iwan made another good point. He said,

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6629199#post6629199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iwan
The bacteria's increases if you dose Vodka in the aquarium.
However, it is the problem that the increase isn't selective.
Populations increase at random.

and that made a lot of sense to me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: