polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
some things (strange) I have noticed over the last month..

First; My down draft skimmer has been tough to keep adjusted. lots of air through it, yet I can't seem to get the waste output from it. I like to skim wet with a very slow drip, And since I have been dosing, I either get almost nothing, or it overflows? I have owned the ETSS1000 skimmer since 2003, and love it.

Second; PH seems to stay on the higher side since I have began dosing
Third; I can' get a reading on magnesium. I have tried numerous times, and the tests do not give a result that I can measure. no change in color. (very strange) I will test next new wc mix versus from the tank.

Other monthly readings:
08/02/2011
CA 380
MG NO READING
KH 12.8
ALK 4.57
SG 1.025
TEMP 80.0
PO4 0PPM
NO3 0PPM

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I stopped dosing, around the third week in September. I seem to have gotten some good results, I do feel, however, that dosing does stress SPS coral. It has been about a month, and I have had two regular 50 gallon water changes completed on my 300 gallon system, and I am noticing new growth, and colors becoming more vibrant, (not spectacular though), vs rather dull during the dosing period.

Jim C.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I stopped dosing, around the third week in September. I seem to have gotten some good results, I do feel, however, that dosing does stress SPS coral. It has been about a month, and I have had two regular 50 gallon water changes completed on my 300 gallon system, and I am noticing new growth, and colors becoming more vibrant, (not spectacular though), vs rather dull during the dosing period.

Jim C.
Are you attributing the dull colors on you sps to the H202 dosing? I just started researching this just now.
I have a couple of small to medium sps frags that I surely do not want to loose.;)

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Hey Polywise, you stated that your skimmer was acting funny while you were dosing peroxide. I have had a problem with my skimmer similar to what you said, but never thought it could be the peroxide. I am going to stop using peroxide just because i think you might be right with the skimmer. Has your skimmer return to his regular skimmate since you stopped?

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Paolissimo,
yes, my skimmer has stabilized.

I run a down draft skimmer ETSS1000, and they are very fussy to begin with.
I also did notice that when I dosed, my ORP would do a major dip,from 420's to around 300.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Polywise I have a tunze 9002, I didn't dose it today, I am curious if I am going to start seeing some skimmate tonight when i come home. In my opinion, it didn't help. Maybe I under dose it, but in my opinion it didn't anything noticeable. Actually it might have added micro bobbles all over my the tank, and made the skimmer useless.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Polywise I have a tunze 9002, I didn't dose it today, I am curious if I am going to start seeing some skimmate tonight when i come home. In my opinion, it didn't help. Maybe I under dose it, but in my opinion it didn't anything noticeable. Actually it might have added micro bobbles all over my the tank, and made the skimmer useless.

Thank you for the response. I have been reading about Peroxide dosing on another site, and a friend that was to import the Oxynator a while back had tried to get me to get one. Thing is that I get nervous about doing anything to my tank, so years later I am still looking into this.lol Obviously I am not in to experimenting with my animals.:splitspin I could never forgive myself if they died.;) I mean it is bad enough when I loose a life while doing what has been proven safe over the years.
I think I will just leave this one alone.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Awilbrandy, the reason I looked in to peroxide was because i had dyno. I tried everything to get rid of them, high ph, lights off, high nitrate, so i gave peroxide i try. It's gone, but after a lot of work, of peroxide, vodka dosing and scrubbing. Honestly I don't think it was the peroxide, i think it was a combination of everything. The reason I say it wasn't peroxide is because people that used it with dyno, saw results right away (in the tank or with dip) I didn't see any results right away. What is the reason for you to look into peroxide? Algae problem? Dyno?

sroot17

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I've been contemplating dosing peroxide to get rid of some hair algae. I've done LR dips before and they work great at killing the algae but it also kills all of the good bacteria and other critters living in the rock. I'd hate to kill off all my pods in my cheato as well. hmm

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: