500 gallon system
300gal dt
30gal frag
60 gallon cryptic
100+ gallon sump
All 1 system .....
Calcium reactor + esv 2 part
Dose daily:
2 part, magnesium, acropower , korallen flatworm Stop & polyp Up.
Dose weekly:
Microbactor 7, iron, potassium, iodine
Lighting: orphek Atlantics.. dt x2 , frag x2
Nutrient export: algae scrubber , skimmer (skimmer mostly off, scrubber does good job)
Run carbon reactor

Definitely more cuc in dt...

Dt 3x orphek Atlantic
Frag 1 x orphek Atlantic

Dt 6'x3'x27"
Frag 2'x3'x10"

Flow:
Dt 5x mp40
Frag..2 weeks ago removed 4 x my600 and replaced with 1 x tunze osmolater

Alk 8.5
Cal 445
Mg 1440
P04 .02 -.04
Nitrates 8

Continual water change 7 gallons per day (esv salt)

Icp tests show all good stuff....

DT is clean and Healthy, clean glass daily/every other day.

Frag tank gets a reddish brown algae, slimy..
On racks, glass, and frag plugs.

Have been cleaning frag racks and glass (Acrylic) , frag plugs 2x per week...

2 months ago, placed a live rock in frag tank, and have been shutting off return pump and letting Sit with 8ml microbactor 7 for 4 hours 2x per week(frag tank only)

Took pics just now, after cleaning frag tank. So not so much algae....

Getting real tired of fighting algae in frag tank.

Help please

Attachments

• 20201202_220730.jpg
    20201202_220730.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 109
  • 20201202_220740.jpg
    20201202_220740.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 92

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Reddish brown slime algae sounds like Cyanobacteria. In my experience I always used chemiclean for this with no issues. It just makes your skimmer go nuts for few days after treatment.

Good luck...

Jamesmost

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Frag tank has same light and schedule as dt,
Just changed flow < 2 weeks ago
Algae seems to like flow ??

When I had cyano in dt (same system, all connected) I did use chem clean...

If I use it now have to for 500gallons and dosing the DT as well.(which is super healthy)

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I would siphon it out with each w/c. That’s what do. I don’t like to add chemicals in an established system. Too much to lose just to avoid a little maintaince. I still get cycling of algaes like hair and bacterial like cyno every few months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jamesmost

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I would siphon it out with each w/c. That’s what do. I don’t like to add chemicals in an established system. Too much to lose just to avoid a little maintaince. I still get cycling of algaes like hair and bacterial like cyno every few months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I dont like to ass chemicals either.
Frag tank is mostly empty, 1 10"×10" rack in there now....
Much less algae, cleaning glass daily...

Ddnt add cuc yet, shipping was sketch with holidays...
Ordered next week

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Sounds like a job for Dr. Tim's Refresh and Waste away.... Heh, I am in no way affiliated with him, but yes agree cyano, or similar pest on your frag rack. When I was battling dinos, (cyano was easy to get rid of) I first used Ultra life, red slime remover, which cleared everything out, my tank was spotless, the skimmer was uncontrollable and overflowing. However to replenish the microfauna, I went with microbactor 7, but didn't know how much to use. The instructions and fine print wasn't too useful and I wasn't capable of trying to fit their dosing instructions to my system. Needless to say, I failed. I can say that with Dr. Tim's dosing schedule, you will have no problems clearing the frag tank. The product is simply bacteria species that live in the water column, not the substrate.

Jamesmost

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Sounds like a job for Dr. Tim's Refresh and Waste away.... Heh, I am in no way affiliated with him, but yes agree cyano, or similar pest on your frag rack. When I was battling dinos, (cyano was easy to get rid of) I first used Ultra life, red slime remover, which cleared everything out, my tank was spotless, the skimmer was uncontrollable and overflowing. However to replenish the microfauna, I went with microbactor 7, but didn't know how much to use. The instructions and fine print wasn't too useful and I wasn't capable of trying to fit their dosing instructions to my system. Needless to say, I failed. I can say that with Dr. Tim's dosing schedule, you will have no problems clearing the frag tank. The product is simply bacteria species that live in the water column, not the substrate.
Yes great products.... but the rest of my system the other 470 gallons has no issues...

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
How is the system plumbed? Just all United by one tank?
Feel like frag tank must be holding more phosphates. might need to add a reactor within the frag tank while adding a bacterial media or live rock to hold on to more beneficial Bactria in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
How old is the frag tank? Did you just add it to the whole system? If not, did you change anything inside, like a new frag rack? I had no algae issues in my display tank or frag tank but when I purchased a new frag tank and added new frag racks I began to have algae issues ONLY in the frag tank. It took about 6 months for the problem to dissipate. This is after attempting to change/add flow, adding a kole tang, (I already had an algae blenny in that tank), adding more snails, manually cleaning the algae off the frag racks and off of my frags. I had both green slime algae and thick leafy green algae. Lost a bunch of frags where I never had issues before. Im not sure if it was the new acrylic tank, (previously had a glass frag tank), or the new frag racks. I suspect it was a combination.

Jamesmost

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Acrylic Frag tank plumbed same time as rest of system...
Frag racks in there from beginning, but probably added more racks.
Cole tang, 6 line, algae blenny...

Presently only 1 rack in frag tank and i am cleaning glass (acrylic)every other day

Gonna switch to egg crate today, less surface area and more flow then acrylic rack

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Mine was black egg crate and I've done this before where I switched out the eggcrate rack and had an algae issue. Remain diligent and it will clear up but it will take time....its frustrating.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: