P-DUBS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hey its that time of year that i need to swap out a few bulbs, I was wondering if you emphasize on the 22k bulb and the 15k bulb just wondering some benefits over UVI and Geissman

Acro76

cherrycorals.com farmer!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Sorry! Been so busy getting ready for this swap I have not checked our forum lately.

We use a combination of ATI and AquaScience bulbs in our T5 fixtures. The KZ Fiji Purple are also decent. I have tried most of the T5 bulbs on the market, once you use these you will not want any other bulbs, they make the colors pop and growth is very good.

If you keep a lot of acans and lps you will probably want to keep your lighting in the overal 15K to 20K range. This will keep the colors, or develop even better color that when you bought the coral. For example, in a 6 bulb T5 I like to use 2 ATI blue +, 2 Aquascience 22K, 1 ATI Aquablue Special, and 1 KZ fiji purple (or another Aquablue Special/AquaScience 15K).

Geissman bulbs are good quality, but to my eyes the color does not pop quite as much as the other bulbs I've mentioned. I last tried UVL about a year ago and was very unhappy with the initial color and the blues faded out very quickly (I stopped using them within 3 months). This was after many many years of being a diehard t12 UVL user!

Hope this helps you out...

BaNDiTo_RoX

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Acro76 Do you have pic of the 6 Bulb setup and what order your bulbs are in? I have a Tek5 6 Bulb but my acan don't puff up like before. Right now I have 4 Blue+ 1 Fiji and the Newgen KZ.

Acro76

cherrycorals.com farmer!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey guys, right now I'm using 4 ATI blue plus, with 1 ATI Pro Color (going to replace with Fiji purple soon), and one ATI Aqua Blue Special. I have 3 other tanks going, with similar combinations.

The order of the bulbs should be spread out, just to avoid having the front of the tank look too blue or too white. So generally the order would be:

Blue+, Blue+, AB Special, Fiji Purple, Blue+, Blue+

You can also rearrange the wiring if you'd like all the blues on at once, because on the Sunlight Supply fixtures one ballast does 4 bulbs, the other 2.

As far as photoperiod I have the blues on for 10 hrs, and the white bulbs + blue for 5 hours.

Thanks,

Brett

Acro76

cherrycorals.com farmer!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Acro76 Do you have pic of the 6 Bulb setup and what order your bulbs are in? I have a Tek5 6 Bulb but my acan don't puff up like before. Right now I have 4 Blue+ 1 Fiji and the Newgen KZ.

Tell me a little more about the tank and maybe I can help? How long have you been running these bulbs? What did you use before?

Breakin Newz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Hey Acro, Which combo do you prefer? the "4 ATI blue plus, with 1 ATI Pro Color" or the "2 ATI blue +, 2 Aquascience 22K, 1 ATI Aquablue Special, and 1 KZ fiji purple" ?

Acro76

cherrycorals.com farmer!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm switching to the fiji purple on my next bulb order. Pro color was ok, just don't think it did much for the corals...

We are going to be stocking ATI (I have 48" in stock that will be added to the site soon) and KZ bulbs.

Just found out our supplier is getting an order so we are going to go pick corals. So I will add the bulbs tomorrow to the site!

Acro76

cherrycorals.com farmer!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey Acro, Which combo do you prefer? the "4 ATI blue plus, with 1 ATI Pro Color" or the "2 ATI blue +, 2 Aquascience 22K, 1 ATI Aquablue Special, and 1 KZ fiji purple" ?

2 ATI blue +, 2 Aquascience 22K, 1 ATI Aquablue Special, and 1 KZ fiji purple

This is what we will be running at shows!

CancerverO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Question??

Is the KZ fiji purple the same as UVL super actinic? I know UVL sucks.. but is it the same color? purple??
how about Aquascience 22K? what color is it? kind of aqua blue special? actinic? blue plus?

thanks
BTW.. getting more coral.. :0) the acans I got from you are gergeous.. !!!!

Acro76

cherrycorals.com farmer!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The fiji purple looks more like a cross between a pro color and a blue bulb. I have not seen a wavelength graph of it though.

Been awhile since I've used the UVL, but I don't think the fiji purple would look much like it.

Aquascience 22k and ATI Blue + are very similar. The aquascience are supposed to hold on to their PAR quite a bit longer. I'll try and find the article comparing them...

Glad you like the corals!

Breakin Newz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
1 last question I promise! In what order will you be running the 2 ATI blue +, 2 Aquascience 22K, 1 ATI Aquablue Special, and 1 KZ fiji purple?

Thanks!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: