Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I've often drooled at the stock at House of Fins in Greenwich, but then the drool is replaced by vomit when I got proce quotes. I have become a semi regular window shopper at the store.

I was in there today and apparently they got a large shipment of acro colonies that had partially browned out. They are about the size of a large fist. The colonies are being sold for $30 a piece. I couldn't pass on the chance to have such a substantial piece at such a low price.

I picked out a nice piece that is brown at the moment, although I see shades of purple and green under a flashlight. After an hour in my QT tank I suddenly saw a few tiny crabs within the branches. An hour later and one metal spike later the crabs are gone.

Moral of the story, if you have what it take to kill a few hitchikers and nurse a browned out acros to health, then take a ride over to HOF for a great deal.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I gave it a nice iodine dip before placing into QT tank. I saw a few bugs fall off from the iodine dip. No idea what they were. The iodine was so strong that all i could see were yellow lines with legs.

I've got the acro lifted on a smallpiece of eggcrate, so if i see anything drop off in the next few days I'll attack with vengance.

Since I bought the acro in rather rough shape, i'm expecting more invaders to pop out.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
hitchhikers are long since flushed, but here's the colony.

Attachments

• acro.JPG
    acro.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 230

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
craig, im feeling like ur avatar after i read ur posts...dood, uhhhgg, i cant wait to c if a colony has acro crabs, they clean and maintain the acro from food particles to algea, im sorry, but i take pride in knowing my acros r protected. me being a sps noob and all..
we live and learn...gl sounds like a nice find

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
If it really was an acro crab you should've taken it out then done the dip. I've seen acro crabs on imported acro colonies a few times and they look pretty cool. But I've also seen enough imports with a bunch of color that if I got a browned out one I would have also dipped and then qt'd it, for like a month :lol2:. Maybe do a couple of dips before it goes in the display. Goodjob on that one but its not worth the risk, imo.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: