Status
Not open for further replies.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I visited this store today, and WOW, was I blown away. The prices are ridiculous, 500.00 for a bleeding apple scoly???? purple tangs for 320.00?? Am I missing something? The custom 280 gallon tank with stainless steel stand for 21,500.00 WOW maybe if they didn't have that big showroom across the street for tanks they could lower their prices. I mean a 28 JBJ with 105W PC and stand for 900.00?? What the heck? And the guy that was there was not very knowledgable. He didn't know which hippos were yellow bellies and which were regular hippos.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Yet they sell those fish and tank set ups every day. Must be doing something right...
That 21,500 dollar tank Lenny? No they don't because this is the first one they have had in and its been there for 6 months. They do custom installs that cost around that but the actual cost of the tank i'm talking about was all in the Stainless steel. The next most expensive setup was a 300 gallon starfire for around 7,000 which they said they do sell those. I can see people regularly buying those but not the 21,500 set up which they have yet to sell one of.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I didn't mean that exact set up Jaa but they do move a lot of fish and tanks. Maybe it's because the people in that area have to much money, maybe it's because they don't know any better or maybe its a little of both. They have some real exotic livestock and been in the bis for a while so like I said before there doing something right.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There are alot of rich people in Grenwich...they have been around for a long time so people must pay those prices. Some people have enough money to not care about bargain shopping. Must be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
There are alot of rich people in Grenwich...they have been around for a long time so people must pay those prices. Some people have enough money to not care about bargain shopping. Must be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

I live 5 minutes form Greenwich and yes people in greenwich are mega millionare's so thats why there prrices are a little steep. Hey you have Conyards Farm a development that houses Mel Gibson, Ron Howard and RC member Mike Boyle, Producer of Married with Children. I personally go there now after a really bad expereince with Greenwich Aquaria (Jason) is the owner. I spent thousands avery 2 weeks and the owner could care less. I whent back to HOF and was treated great from the start. Alex is one of the key people in there to speek with. He is great at what he does and is very knowledgeable.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
House of Fins has quality livestock and very high prices and they make no bones about the fact that they charge "Greenwich" prices. They have been in business for decades, so clearly they know what they are doing. I agree Alex is super helpful and knows his stuff.

I'd also like to add that they support this site via banner ads ( the magazine too) and have been EXTREMELY generous with donations of livestock to our swaps for many years. All this despite the obvious fact that they don't get a ton of business from MR members.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I live 5 minutes form Greenwich and yes people in greenwich are mega millionare's so thats why there prrices are a little steep. Hey you have Conyards Farm a development that houses Mel Gibson, Ron Howard and RC member Mike Boyle, Producer of Married with Children. I personally go there now after a really bad expereince with Greenwich Aquaria (Jason) is the owner. I spent thousands avery 2 weeks and the owner could care less. I whent back to HOF and was treated great from the start. Alex is one of the key people in there to speek with. He is great at what he does and is very knowledgeable.
Reef to Reptiles and Tropaqaurium are not far from Rumson NJ and all those houses are in the millions, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen and quite a few Yankees,Mets and other pro athletes live there. Yet these 2 stores have low prices, Tropaquarium is a bit high(no where close to greenwhich prices) but still it has been there for at least 16 years that I know of. Greenwhich is a small town and I don't see how they justify their prices at all, no matter how much money is in the town.

Acro76

cherrycorals.com farmer!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Reef to Reptiles and Tropaqaurium are not far from Rumson NJ and all those houses are in the millions, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen and quite a few Yankees,Mets and other pro athletes live there. Yet these 2 stores have low prices, Tropaquarium is a bit high(no where close to greenwhich prices) but still it has been there for at least 16 years that I know of. Greenwhich is a small town and I don't see how they justify their prices at all, no matter how much money is in the town.

So just because you can't afford it you feel you have to bash this store?

House of Fins has a great reputation in the hobby, and it's well deserved in my opinion. They are very knowledgeable (you didn't say who you talked to in the store, I'm sure they hire a few kids just to keep the place clean). They get in some of the rarest coral and fish in the country (that's not cheap!). They give back to the reefing community with their annual SPLASH event with speakers, give-aways, and huge discounts (insert comment here...).

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0

House of Fins has a great reputation in the hobby, and it's well deserved in my opinion. They are very knowledgeable (you didn't say who you talked to in the store, I'm sure they hire a few kids just to keep the place clean). They get in some of the rarest coral and fish in the country (that's not cheap!). They give back to the reefing community with their annual SPLASH event with speakers, give-aways, and huge discounts (insert comment here...).
Can't afford it? When did I say that? I don't go there because it is 2 hours from my house and if it was closer I still wouldn't go there. Why would I pay triple and double prices when I can go to a LFS with a better or equal reputation and save money? As for rare, I didn't see one rare anything while I was there. A small purple tang for 320.00?? not rare at all the price is but not the fish. The only store I have ever seen that carries rare fish and corals is Absolutely Fish. They have high prices as well but no where near that high. At HOF I talked to the owner, so I was told it was the owner. Not impressed at all with the store. I feel they are exploiting the hobby and not everyone in Greenwich or the surrounding areas are millionares with limitless funds. So should the hobbyists in that area be punished by greedy owners? I don't think so. Acro look at the facts presented in front of you, I can afford a 320 dollar purple tang or a 180 dollar leapord wrasse, but seeing how I'm not a moron I would rather get my purple tang for 100 and my wrasse for 40 bucks. I know where HOF gets their fish and the wholesaler is used by several other LFS in my area.

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
location, location, location,
I always go there just to look and they treat me very nice.
Alex is a good friend of mine I helped him start his first tank.
Nice guy, he used to work for Sal at New York Aquarium.
Very knowledgeble guy.
Vic

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
location, location, location,
+1 a place paying 10k + a month plus several employee's isn't going to charge the same on stuff that a store that has a $1000 rent and 2 employee's, and they do have and get fish no one else has, or wont get because of the initial cost to take a chance on, do i like their pricing ? no, therefor i don't shop there, but i guess if i made a $1000 hr i wouldnt care either or. and they have been around a long time, guess they are doing something right.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I'm not sure what there is to debate here? Their business model is what it is and has been that way for literally decades. Apparently it works for them. It is equally true that it doesn't work for lots of hobbyists and they take their business elsewhere.

From the MR POV they have been long-term and stalwart supporters and even if you can't afford to shop there you should thank them for giving back to a community ( the hobby really )that is not a major part of their business model. They really have no NEED to support us at all.

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0

100% Brett.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Threads like this make me want to buy a 21,500 custom tank. While the prices there might be out of my reach considerably HOF has a great reputation and does give back to the hobby quite a bit. People in that community have mega millions. I worked for an alarm company that serviced that area. Rent there is not cheap and they have to cover their overhead. They are a great store. They have a great healthy selection and are very friendly even if you're there just to look.

Badmouthing someone because of their pricing is a load of Ford!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: