A

Anonymous

#1)
View

These orange and purple tube groups grew out of nowhere. What are they? The look really cool
smile.gif
In the back there is the purple bubble branch, is that bubble algae, I thought it was until today, when i was reading an article and it said bubble algae was green. Whatever it is my Yellow Tang chomps away at it.

#2)
View
View

What kind of anemone is this?

#3)
View

What kind of coral is the brown disc?

#4)
View

what kind of coral is this? i am seeing more little polyps show up around the liverock, which has raised my curiousity.

Sorry for all these ID questions, but all my books just cover the more generic stuff. Is there an online repository with pictures and IDs for all the beings we might enounter in our tanks?

Thanks again

fabio

------------------
www.kaotica.com
-------------------
My Reef

A

Anonymous

These are just my best guesses, I fully expect the experts to override these...

#1 - Awsome tunicates! Those are really great! Nice PIC!!

#2 - Aiptasia sp.!

#3 - Some type of Porites sp. ?? not sure.

#4 - I'd guess Ivory Tube Coral possibly Cladocora arbuscula

A

Anonymous

2 is an aiptasia? i thought aiptasias were brown like this:
View

These other ones come out of a white base, here is another picture:

View

------------------
www.kaotica.com
-------------------
My Reef

A

Anonymous

I'd assume this is Florida rock by the critters you have. And I'd say that the clear tentacled polyps are a coral...what kind I cant say as I have no refrences handy or a good recollection of the species similar to that. I'd say they're a keeper, and a really nice one to boot. Hopefully Rob will be able to chime in with a better ID.

------------------
Dan
Minotaur15 on #reefs
http://www.einsweb.com/minotaur15/

A

Anonymous

Oops on #2, I didn't notice the structure under the tentacles. I have a lot of these, I had them identified as Astrangia sp. Feed them and they will grow quickly.

BTW - I've seen clear aiptasia. They get brown when exposed to light.

Sorry if I spooked you a little there
biggrin.gif

A

Anonymous

my tunicates disappeared
frown.gif
I think the cleaner shrimp or the peppermint shrimp had something to do with that- oh well, at least I have a good picture or two when they were in the tank. thanks a lot for helping ID them. I will update my photopoint album :)

fabio

------------------
www.kaotica.com
-------------------
My Reef

A

Anonymous

kaotica posted a great pic of aiptasia.

I have some of the clear anemones and was looking for an ID. I got one....I'm told by "Deepdown" on #reefs it's a Cladocora arbuscula, a stoney coral from Florida and the caribbean. Comes in on a lot of live rock.

It resembles a type of Fungia Coral to me. It doesnt need light and is opens mostly at night. It feeds on brine or copepods which float by. Likes medium current. Feed em No probs I hear. Mine was buried for a long time after a tank move. It survived!

lps.jpg

ReefHawk
signature.gif

------------------
I'm not gonna put my hands in the tank, I'm not gonna put my hands in the tank,.... I'm .....shoot!

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> My Reef Tank
<LI> <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>
<LI> Nashville, Tn
<LI> "ReefHawk" on IRC
</UL>

A

Anonymous

Kaotica,

I have all the same hitch hikers as you. Is that Gulf View Rock? Amazing pics what type of camera/lens are you using.

I was begining to think the white tenticle things are some type of worm? They come out when all the other tube worms come out to feed.

Thanks for the great post.

Steve

A

Anonymous

# 2 is Cladocora arbuscula
# 3 (is it a stony?) looks like Isophyllastrea rigida
# 4 is Oculina diffusa

------------------
got ska?

[This message has been edited by galleon (edited 24 April 2001).]

A

Anonymous

yes it is gulf-view
smile.gif

the camera i used is a nikon coolpix 950 and just used the macro feature
smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: