On the hunt! We want your hitchiker pictures!

MoJoVac

We just noticed a starfish hitchhiker and don't know what it is (other than the obvious). Anyone know where I can find a resource to identify it? I would like to know which species it is and if it's ok for our reef tank. It's currently about 1cm or 1/4" long. We're new to this... I have two good images but no acess to a publically accessable server. I can email to anyone the images in either full (about 4MB each) or compressed jpegs (about a meg each) and several other images of other hitchhikers I can send if I get an email address to send them...

Joe
jvaccaro@cox.net[/img]

Attachments

w_croft

I have 2 yellow tail blue damsel's, they always look a little pale in the morning, but given a quarter of an hour they colour right up. However, this morning I found what I think was a parasite on the smaller one and the damsel was looking rather more pale than usual. It was located on the inside of the right side fin. It was about 2 mm long, 1 mm wide and 1 mm high, took a freshwater bath and a pair of disecting tweezers to remove. Is anyone able to identify it for me?

Tell me I did the right thing by removing it, I felt so slack putting the little damsel in the freshwater but true to their fighting spirit, the damsel is doing well and the vibrant colour came right back within a minute of removing this thing.

Attachments

daewon

Please help identify this hitch hiking worm. I have two Fire Shrimp, a Blue Tang, two Percula Clowns, a Firefish goby, starfish, and 3 hermit crabs. Is this hitch hiking worm safe? If not, how do I get rid of it? Is there a fish or invert I can add to the tank for removal?

Attachments

A

Anonymous

I'm wondering about the dimples in this in center and left.

All of the white tubes are feather dusters.... I'm wondering about the orange blob in the middle with the green specks... i know its not the best picture but thats all the better i could get.

This we got on a piece of liverock we bought not to long ago... it started out white but i'm afraid that an algea that likes to take over our tank at random intervals is starting to move in... we asked about the algae in another post.

[/img]

A

Anonymous

#1 = Coral fossil

#2 - hard to see, possibly a sponge

#3 - Coral skeleton (recently dead)

Wingnutt021

Two pretty good mantis shrimp photos.

The telltale sign of having a mantis in your setup before seeing it is the clicking noises. For months this guy has been tapping out tunnels in my live rock as I sat across the room saying, "What the heck is that sound!?"

He was still too small to take on the true perc and yellow damsel, but I lost two turbo snails and about 6 or 7 little hermits to his appetite.

Attachments

A

Anonymous

To answer some of the unanswered questions above, this is a majano anemone, a common pest that multiplies rapidly if not kept under control, stinging corals.

These are possibly hydroids (any other opinions? I don't have the best record in identifying hydroids).

This is feather caulerpa (Caulerpa crassifolia)

And these are harmless feather dusters.

dj.simpson

I was kind of hoping this was a Mantis Shrimp, anyone care to enlighten me?
I reckon he snuck into the tank on fresh seaweed, (which i can't seem to keep alive)
He appears from time to time defoliating fresh sea weed.
Haven't seen him in a while though, maybe his place in the food chain caught up with him..

Attachments

A

Anonymous

It does look a bit like a trippy Mantis, but picking at the foliage doesn't fit that ID. Very cool critter though. 8)