rjplt23

Reefer
Pest2-1.jpg

These white spots are about 1 mm across in size, do not seem to move but are attaching to my live rock and snail shells as seen with this hermit for an easy pic. The spots can be peeled back with a knife blade.

Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, without a much clearer pic, it's going to be hard to ID what you have there. Any distinguishing characteristics in terms of texture, shape etc?

A

Anonymous

my guess would be its just a type of tube worm- they produce litle calcified tubes - at first, they appear to be little white dots, and as the grow, they form a spiral tube.
They dont grow large, and are beneficial to the tank over all.

A

Anonymous

yeah, sounds like the base for the mcrotube worms...

actually they sound like spirobide worms, small calcified creatures, less than 2 mm, attaching to glass and rock. THEY are a pain. I squish about 50 per day. I have heard of nothing but mechanical removal. DO NOT let them get to plentiful. Your tank must be in good nick as the are somewhat fussy. To reduce their numbers you can also reduce the food your're feeding. I have a double layer fine net that I clean the tank with 5 minutes after feeding, and the pumps are back on. Another way is to rinse any shrimp/ live food and strain with a net to get rid of the small particles of food, which keep them going.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: