FoZii

PADI Scuba Diver
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What would you guys recommend or have used with positive results the best Brand/Type of Sealant for Glass Aquariums?

I've done my fair share of researching online and still haven't decided on which Brand or Type is the best.

I know 100% Silicone works as long as there is no Anti-Mold or other additional additives so it'd be aquarium safe.

Which brand? GE? Perfecto? All-Glass?

-A little background, just want to fix a small hairline crack on the bottom of my new 50 Gallon tank.

FoZii

PADI Scuba Diver
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Getting the tank replaced is NOT an option. I had 4 holes drilled in it already. I don't know how the crack happened, maybe from transportation.

The crack is located near the center rear of the tank bottom, about 2 inches in length but very fine, right above the brace, so if I decide to just silicone it, I can only silicone the inside, unless I take off the bottom brace, which I don't think is a good idea.

Another option from my research might be to purchase a piece of Acrylic or Glass, and silicone that right on top crack, either that, or get a piece of glass the size of the inside bottom panel, and just silicone that right over the original glass.

Any ideas?

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Getting the tank replaced is NOT an option. I had 4 holes drilled in it already. I don't know how the crack happened, maybe from transportation.

The crack is located near the center rear of the tank bottom, about 2 inches in length but very fine, right above the brace, so if I decide to just silicone it, I can only silicone the inside, unless I take off the bottom brace, which I don't think is a good idea.

Another option from my research might be to purchase a piece of Acrylic or Glass, and silicone that right on top crack, either that, or get a piece of glass the size of the inside bottom panel, and just silicone that right over the original glass.

Any ideas?

Where did u purchase the tank if u got it online i would call the company n tell them bout your problem. Hopefully they kan sent a whole new one back.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I would not risk fixing this. A 2" crack is a big crack.
The question is not "will the selant keep it from leaking?" But. Is the glass going to hold together under the pressure of the water?
A crack is a weak spot. Weak spots break. JMO

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Getting a piece of glass the size of the crack won't do any good. The crack will spread from the pressure of water in the tank. The best option is the replace the tank, but if that won't do, you would need to get a piece of glass the size of the cracked panel and replace that panel. IMO, siliconing it on top of the broken panel will be inferior because you can't reach the edges of where the original panel was siliconed to. When the original panel gives out, you may still develop a leak.

Also, putting silicone only on the crack itself prevents a leak, it doesn't help it from cracking more which probably will happen from the pressure of water pushing outwards on the glass.

And quite honestly, a tank cost is very minimal compared to everything else you put in. You should instead put the money of the rest of your equipment and get another tank, smaller if you need to instead of using a broken tank.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
This is so blatant it should honestly not even be a question. 100% guaranteed this tank will fail. The crack in the tank is even in the weakest point, the bottom glass. AND since there is a crack in the bottom glass it is obvious that the glass isn't even tempered, therefore it isn't as strong as a tempered glass panel. This glass WILL FAIL. Please save yourself the headache of having to clean up the huge mess it will cause and just replace the tank.

Russ

FoZii

PADI Scuba Diver
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

I've decided to get rid of this tank and get a Oceanic 57 Gallon Rimless to replace it.

Might as well upgrade from the cracked 50 right? :spin:

BTW, this would be my FIRST Saltwater tank. I'm new in this hobby. =]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: