lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Gotcha. It's worth trying :) Probably would make sense if you're using the manual version, I feel like I wouldn't be able to time the replacement properly and would be wasting some of the roll to do that. Let us know how that goes :)

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
hmm, seems as the spent roll gets larger, and the torque required to spin the roll increases the motor is clicking a decent amount as it struggles to spin. Is anyone else experiencing this? It always gets the roll moved eventually after clicking a few times, but there goes the silent operation. :/

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
hmm, seems as the spent roll gets larger, and the torque required to spin the roll increases the motor is clicking a decent amount as it struggles to spin. Is anyone else experiencing this? It always gets the roll moved eventually after clicking a few times, but there goes the silent operation. :/

I called coralvue to complain about it as I thought it may have been a bad motor. Turns out some off the earlier units didnt have the used fleece roller spindle put together correctly and the piece of clear acrylic was not glued to the small gray pvc, but rather just force fit in. The sound I was heading was the acrylic grinding on the pcv as the motor spun, but the friction between the acrylic and pvc was not enough to prevent slippage.

I am having a replacement spindle sent out to me so all will be resolved. As a temporary fix I used some super glue and seems to turn a little quieter now.

So if any of you come across this same problem, check out that connection there. You can easily tell by holding the motor assembly and used roller stationary while looking at the metal rod coming out of the motor. If that continues to spin while you hear that dreaded sound, then your issue is with the acrylic/pvc rubbing and not the motor itself.

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Red Sea

I have a Red Sea max650. Imo the biggest shortfall of the system is the lack of filter socks. Anyone familiar with the sump layout will agree there really isn?t a way to get filter socks in. My sump is always filled with detritus causing my reactor pumps and skimmer to clog. If there?s a way to get this working in my sump I would buy it in a heartbeat. I guess I have to watch a bunch of YouTube videos to see if I can figure out a way to get it in my system. If anyone lives by me in West Babylon and is willing to let me come see it in person I?d happily bring a Frag or some cold refreshments.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
So my tank was making a wierd blooping sound yesterday. I had no idea what was causing it. I couldn't go to bed with that going on and not knowing... so I'm watching my return section where the Klir is and I see a big air bubble, hear a bloop and I think it's coming from the Klir. Yeah, it is. Oh wait, is that the filter cloth dangling inside its channel. Oh, I guess the roll is used up. Hard to tell.. it could have been like that for a few hours, days, who knows. I'm hoping since the blooping was new that it had started recently.

Anyway, I spent about 10-15 minutes pulling it out, taking off the old spool, taking the poly screw out, grabbing a fresh roll, putting that on, wiping down the klir too, putting everything back together and getting it back inside. I'm sure that time will improve as I get used to it...

What was interesting, was about 2/3 of the roll was pretty white. I believe all of that was from the first day, I had the optical sensor not facing away from the drain and it definitely spun way more than it should've. The last 1/3 was pretty grunged up. I didn't realize you don't need the spindle as I had already managed to get it out. The whole thing was pretty stinky.

So now it's doing it's thing again. I'm looking forward to monitoring it now from a fresh start. Pretty impressed if I got 2 weeks out of the last third of the roll, it should do much better this time around :)

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
So an update, it's been 2 months and my fleece roll is still not spent so that has been a huge plus so far.
I only expected 30~40 days at best but heck, I'll take it.
I'm sure people have read a bunch of problems regarding the product on other forums but the only annoying problem that I have had in 60 days is the fleece roll snagging and being locked up twice. I think this is happening because the product has been rolled out quickly and the material is not as refined as it could be. The acrylic bracket frame is not polished enough and might be the reason why the fleece is getting snagged every once in a while (2x for me). On the next stall or change out, I'll take a closer look to see if this is actually the problem and hand sand the edges of where the fleece comes into contact with the frame to see if this alleviates the snagging.
What I don't like is their controller, seems a little skimpy. Mine did not sound any kind of audible alarm nor did the controller LED flash during either times the motor stalled, just heard the unusual noise of water overflowing from the sock tray when it shouldn't have been. I also had a difficult time shutting the unit off through the controller to address the stall. Controller does not seem to respond well in regards to the power/reset tactile button, seems glitchy at best.
So far on a scale of 1-10, still an 8.5 since I have not had to pull or clean a filter sock for 2 months.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
84 days!
Just changed out the 1st roll of fleece, 84 days is more than expected!
In 84 days, the fleece roll has snagged 6x which is annoying but not a deal breaker. I've since contacted CoralVue and they have sent me a replacement bottom bracket. It's been sitting until today due to the fleece roll changeout opportunity.
So a few people couldn't figure out what was different or improved /changed and initially I thought the same and couldn't figure it out. Upon reassembly, I finally saw what they had changed. They moved the two bottom rollers up about 1/8" so hopefully this will resolve the snagging issue. Hard to see in the photo but it was noticeable with the naked eye. (bracket with the fleece is the new bracket)
nwd9pb4.jpg

They also changed out the nylon bolt that holds part of the bracket and sock hole plate. It's shorter and threads easier now. The old unit's bolt was too long and the tap for the bolt hole felt wrong because it was difficult to thread and unthread where at some point it felt like it would shear.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Mike,
The spent roll is actually out of the water in the sump. My nitrates are so low that I actually had to start dosing nitrates daily.
As for smell, I won't say that there is none. I do notice a slight smell in and around the stand but not so much that I need to do anything about it.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I too have been getting some snags and after seeing you were able to get them to send you a new part i contacted them and have my new part coming now
Hopefully this prevents the snags from the limpets that get into the unit.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
There is no smell, the lid has a carbon sponge as well. The roll only stinks when you unroll it (which I had to do twice unfortunately) I haven?t had any snag issues after replacing the lower section. In fact its working like a breeze now.

Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
So I?ve been running mine now for two months which I am pretty happy wtvr results. I was wondering do you still have a detritus buildup on floor of the sump ? I figured that with a 50 micron roll there would be a minimal amount that would pass through.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: