Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
There are different requirement for breeding different fish. Clownfish is one of the easiest. This post serve as an overview on each process. I think we can roughly break it down to 3 or 4 major categories to talk about.

1) Phytoplankton to feed rotifer and/or commercial Rotifer food to feed rotifer
2) Rotifer to feed larvae
3) Rearing tank and the related equipment such as air pump, light, sponge filter
4) Feeding procedure and technique

To raise larvae, you must have #1 & #2, the phytoplankton and rotifer culture, ready way ahead of time. Those 2 takes a couple of weeks to get a decent culture going.

If you want to read more, a book called Clownfishes - A guide to their captive care, breeding & Natural History by Joyce D. Wilkerson is highly recommended.

Last edited:

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Yes ive been learning this for 3 yrs have knowledge of it I could actually have a conversation with a vreeder I could keep up .I live in a 1 bedroom with 11 pairs my girl & kid . Talking about no space lol!!! I have my rotifer culture going .and my main pair started laying 3 weeks ago its a 3.5 year old snowcasso from donisreef and a true c- quest onyx with semi Picasso markings im excited that they started laying this girl killed 2 males and hurt 3 she was a pain on the **** cord to pair up. Low on cash so im gonna have to do some mcgiver stuff to pull this of

Attachments

• 20131227_110819.jpg
    20131227_110819.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 735

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
2 years but could be sooner . depending on what is your choices of what exactly you wanna breed like if you are doing Picasso which is better in my opinion spend 120 tops for a onyx female adult or a regular 40 female percula and spend on a killer male with helmet but with good lineage saves time n money
Same with snowflakes buy a cheap breeding proven pair that lays eggs and used a super snow buy them as juvi at 6 month male could fertilize as young as 8 months old

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Someone here is selling a "breeding pair" of black ice for $200 obo I think is a great deal if he could provide pictures of pair tending the nest or even better to call you next day after the hatch 200 $ well worth it

westohooligan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice write up!

Just to jump in. Joyce Wilkerson's book, while great, was written in 1997. The info is 20 years old. Matt Wittenrich's book: The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes is much more up to date and has a nice foreword by Martin Moe. If you don't know who he is, he's the FIRST person to ever captive breed clownfish in America.
I also recommend you check out www.mbisite.org. The official website of a group called the Marine Breeders Initiative. We are a group of professionals, scientists, and hobbiests with the goal of captive breeding and sharing info.

Last edited:

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have a 20G Long tank which I had set up as a planted freshwater tank. I wonder if I can turn it into a tank to breed clowns? Would LOVE to have a pair breeding. Have to figure out how to do it, since the tank doesn't have a sump.

westohooligan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a 20G Long tank which I had set up as a planted freshwater tank. I wonder if I can turn it into a tank to breed clowns? Would LOVE to have a pair breeding. Have to figure out how to do it, since the tank doesn't have a sump.

Easy, a top slotted opaque divider would be perfect for that. Just silicone it in, and bam! 2 sections for 2 pairs. You could drill the drain on one side, and put the return on the other.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: