90reefernyc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok so came home from work today and found this:
7ebf5571.jpg

This is the second time in three months that I have noticed the eggs. There from gold stripe maroon clowns. After the first time I put a piece of ceramic tile in the same spot and nothing.. So yesterday I noticed they had knocked down the tile I put it back. This afternoon I saw it down again and decided to leave it till I get back home from work, that's when I noticed the eggs.
So the last time this happened I started reading the clown fish book by Joyce D. Wilkerson. I read that usually the first batches are no good any way, so I decided to let it go and try to get ready for future spawns. I went out and purchased a 10 gallon tank 3 air stones an air pump and heater. I have a small florescent light fixture.
So now my main problem is food. I have nothing to feed them and don't know if I have time to produce rotifers. They laid the eggs today so I should have 8 days till they hatch. Do i have enough time to start a culture to produce rotifers or is there somewhere or someone I can buy them from?
Thanks for listening and helping me out with some advise.
Jimmy

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Congrats Jimmy! Looks like a nice batch of eggs. You can buy the Rotifers and the RG Complete food for the rotifers from Reed Mariculture. The are in California and can ship them to you overnight. The send instructions on how to start and maintain the culture. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Brian

90reefernyc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So what do you guys think? I have a heater in the tank set at 80 with 2 air stones and a small florescent drop light that I kept on for a bout 7 hrs today. Is that enough time?
Also how many rotifers should I feed them ? I put about three cup in the tank today.
thanks Jimmy

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Yes that is normal and great. That means that they are on a good cycle. If you track it you can almost predict down to the hour when they will lay again. Clowns are very habitual. Yes you will need to get another fry tank ready and continue the cycle until you run out of space or get bored. LOL
Keep up the great work and post some pics of your progress.

90reefernyc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So my larvae have made it to day 11 I would say I have about 40-50 swimming around. When does meta start? What changes should I look for? Right now they look black with silver bellys.
Thanks.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Sounds like you are having good success. I have had meta in as little as 10 DPH(Days Post Hatch) and some larvae that took 20 days. I really depends on the temperature of your larvae tank. The warmer it is the faster they go thru meta. What is yours?
You will notice that they will look like little fish and start actually swimming around instead of darting in jerky motions. Thats when they have gone thru meta. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

90reefernyc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The temp of the water is around 80 deg. I will take a video of them tomorrow and post it for your opinion. Thanks Jimmy.
US Marine do you have any pictures of your breeding setup?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: