Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Guess I just needed to vent a bit. Finally splurged on my bucketlist reef-safe fish, the Achilles Tang. QT'd going on 12 days, no medicine just observation until I had the opportunity to dose CP. Bio-sponge filter, no trace of ammonia, nitrates only at about 8. Skittish but they all are. Eating mysis and even looked to be chomping at nori. Beautiful fish. Bragged about him to everyone I knew.
Arrive to this afternoon and dead as a doornail. No obvious wounds or stress. No sign on any disease. A Maculiceps and pintail wrasse share a 29G temporary home and they are looking ok. Even fed this am and got a good look at him swimming stress-free.
Won't say where I got it; can't blame the vendor, it was a healthy fish upon purchase. Black Friday steal.
Just needed to share my story and see if anyone has had similar instances where a seemingly healthy fish went downhill so abruptly.

Attachments

• 20181205_185634.jpg
    20181205_185634.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Sorry for your loss, may I ask why you used cp?

I personally don?t like using something I can?t test for. If you still have the body soak in freshwater to see if there are any flukes.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
These fish are not for beginners. If you were told otherwise, you were mislead. And a 29 gal tank is not suitable for this fish period

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey Tim sorry for your loss. No meds in water that?s crazy??? I could see if he reacted badly to a medication. But without meds there is no logical reason for it to die? A 29 gallon is fine for QT. Sounds like you were doing everything right!! Sorry but I guess you have to chalk this one up to shitty mystery.like Huerfan said you could check for flukes just for your knowledge. Tom

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Three

I lost three in various stages of qt prior to finally having success with my current specimen. Much better it dies in qt to a mystery disease than in your display after spreading it to all your other fish. They?re one of the most beautiful and graceful reef inhabitants. My current one is the king of my tank. Better luck next time.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I lost three in various stages of qt prior to finally having success with my current specimen. Much better it dies in qt to a mystery disease than in your display after spreading it to all your other fish. They?re one of the most beautiful and graceful reef inhabitants. My current one is the king of my tank. Better luck next time.
thank you sir. after the initial heartache, I do count myself lucky for it to have died in QT and not introduce something to the 20+ others in the DT. will hope for the success you have soon enough.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Sorry for your loss, may I ask why you used cp?

I personally don?t like using something I can?t test for. If you still have the body soak in freshwater to see if there are any flukes.
this is my first foray into QT. I've gotten lots of feedback from other members on CP and have done extensive research. figured i'd try it out. I hate how Copper makes fish behave. They look terrible. From what I've seen of CP, fish react much better and its a pretty quick regimen. CP with a tank transfer method a few times over 30 days is the plan going forward. and of course bacterial meds, etc if needed.
and I do have the body still, i'll test for the flukes to be prepared for the other 2 fish still in QT thanks for the feedback

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Hey Tim sorry for your loss. No meds in water that?s crazy??? I could see if he reacted badly to a medication. But without meds there is no logical reason for it to die? A 29 gallon is fine for QT. Sounds like you were doing everything right!! Sorry but I guess you have to chalk this one up to shitty mystery.like Huerfan said you could check for flukes just for your knowledge. Tom
thanks Tom. stressed myself out researching proper QT methods so im glad you think I may have gotten some it right. next time!

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
In my experience cupramine and hypo salinity is all i needed to do for my fish. This includes my fairy and flasher wrasse.

Cupramine is really amazing stuff and can be easily measured. You just have to dose it slowly, 1/4 of recommended dosage until you get to treatment level.

I read good things about cp also but hard to tell if it?s working, plus it does not work for flukes. Tank transfer is good also but a pain if you are doing it for many fish.

My 2 cents, good luck!

Last edited:

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
In my experience cupramine and hypo salinity is all i needed to do for my fish. This includes my fairy and flasher wrasse.

Cupramine is really amazing stuff and can be easily measured. You just have to dose it slowly, 1/4 of recommended dosage.

I read good things about cp also but hard to tell if it?s working, plus it does not work for flukes. Tank transfer is good also but a pain if you are doing it for many fish.

My 2 cents, good luck!
I did do hypo bath before placing in QT without flukes from what I could see...hadn't done this before so not quite sure what I was looking for except examples I saw on youtube but nothing fell off. appreciate everyones journey. thank you. from what ive read, CP is terrible for hippo tangs, six line wrasses and a few others so I would use your method should I ever get any of those...

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
If you did a fresh water bath for at least 5-10 minutes and did not see any sesame seed looking bugs then no flukes. But it takes at least 5 minutes to get them to come off.

Not sure why cp would be bad for hippo tangs and not other tangs?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: