A

Anonymous

This is a complete rescape of my 15 gallon planted tank, previously chronicled in my last thread. It’s entitled ‘Keep off the Flesh-Eating Grass’ because the main plant in this layout, Utricularia graminifolia, is carnivorous.

Specs:
15 gallon AGA tank
4 x 24w t5 lighting
ADA System 72 Co2 supply
ADA Powersand and Aquasoil for substrate
Eheim 2213 canister
Hydor In-Line heater

Flora:
Utricularia graminifolia
Phyllanthus fluitans
HC
lobelia cardinalis var. 'small form'

Fauna:
1 pair nothobranchius guentheri ‘Zanzibar’
1 pair aphyosemion australe
9 harlequin rasboras

Right now the tank is at the just beginning phase of things. The UG, HC and phyllanthus are in (coverage of all three is light thus far, though), but the lobelia won't be delivered until next week.

This set up was inspired by photos of a tank Oliver Knott set up for Interzoo 2006, which can be seen at: http://www.pbase.com/plantella/utricularia2006

That tank was approximately 50 gallons, so the biggest challenge was scaling the design down for use in a 15 gallon tank without losing the overall feeling of the original.

The Interzoo 2006 tank appealed to me for a number of reasons besides the obvious one, aesthetics. For one, it uses no stem plants whatsoever. I’d come to the conclusion that stem plants in a 12” tall, 15 gallon tank are just too much work, and I had planned to move away from them in any case. For another, it requires absolutely minimal maintenance. The UG only grows 2” tall so it can be pretty much left entirely to it’s own devices.

After deciding that this was the direction I wanted to move in, the hardest part was in actually getting a supply of Utricularia. While readily available in both Europe and Asia, I couldn’t find a single US nursery that was growing it. Nor were any of the aquatic specialty shops in the hobby. Occasionally hobbyists would offer golf ball size portions at $20 each, but even if I’d wanted to spend the cash I’d be lucky to find a half dozen small portions in a six month time period. However, Aquaspot World in Singapore carries UG so I decided to give them a try, even though the shipping process of plants traveling internationally is convoluted. I ordered 25 pots worth of UG from them. Three and a half weeks later, after being in the mail for eight days, I finally received my order.

To put it bluntly, it was a mess.

First, the actual portions sent were about the size of a postage stamp; it would take at least six of them to equal the pot sized portions they advertise. Second, after eight days in transit all but nine of the 25 were completely dead and decayed. Of those nine, six were in good enough shape to put in the tank. A few weeks later they are finally beginning to spread.

I'd planned to use downoi in this tank, similar to how it's used in Oliver Knott's tank in the link above. The downoi I was able to acquire did not transition well to my tank and melted away to nothing within just a few days of it's introduction - a problem a lot of people seem to have with it. After some brainstorming, and my girlfriend telling me she hated how the downoi looked anyway, I decided on lobelia cardinalis 'small form' as a substitute.

Also included in my tank is phyllanthus fluitans, a floating plant with a nice pinkish red color. I included this for a few reasons. First, nutrient control – floaters suck up nutrients like nothing else. Second, it’s a security blanket for the fish. Without any stem plants or even much in the way of anything taller than ground cover, I was concerned that the fish would stick pretty much to the bottom layer of the tank. By giving them top cover, they behave much more comfortably.

I also decided to use some HC to plant as a stopgap ground cover. If the UG does well it will take over the lawn and I’ll gradually remove the HC, but until then at least I have a foreground that consists of more than just bare soil.

I think that about covers it. I’d hoped that the ‘scape would be in a more ‘complete’ state at this point, but the delays encountered in getting the Utricularia and the lobelia really pushed the timetable back a bit. Still, one of the goals of this design (besides looking good, of course) was to create an absolutely minimal maintenance tank that could be maintained without a rescape for years. That being the case, I don’t mind being patient during this stage as it takes it’s time to establish itself.

Tank photos will go up once the lobelia arrives. For now, consider this a discussion thread :D

A

Anonymous

Alright, a little eye candy before then. The full tank shot contains includes the downoi which has since gone to Baby Jesus, and which the lobelia will replace when it gets here.

You can see the ground cover is pretty thin. I expect the HC to cover it's areas within a month or so. I don't know what to expect as far as how quickly the UG will take off.

Attachments

• familiarface.jpg
    familiarface.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 271
  • ugfromasw.jpg
    ugfromasw.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 270
  • fullwdownoi.jpg
    fullwdownoi.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 273
A

Anonymous

And one more while I'm at it...

Attachments

• nothog.jpg
    nothog.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 268
A

Anonymous

Gman0526":xmlly1fx said:
Is that HC @ the forefront?

Yup. Like I said above, I used some HC as a stopgap ground cover while I wait for the utricularia to fill in. Since I ended up with much less UG then I'd wanted and since I don't know how long it will take to really spread, the HC is there just to fill things out in the short term.

With any luck my lobelia should go out today and I'll have it tomorrow, so there should be updated pics by tomorrow or wednesday.

A

Anonymous

Glad to see you :)

One issue I'm encountering due to the numerous delays on different plant shipments that have cropped up is that some nuisance algae is showing up. There's low plant mass in the tank to compete with it, so for the first time I'm seeing things like green spot algae show up on the glass and on the rocks.

At least it's not cladophora. I should be able to whip it down in short order once the plant mass increases. The floating plants have doubled in number (this particular species doesn't multiply as quickly as duckweed or salvinia), so it's moving in that direction already.

So, for anyone else looking to start one of these tanks, it's worth repeating: plant heavily and from day one.

A

Anonymous

the new tank 'scape is butt ugly, artificial and contrived looking-your first version (old thread) was a far far nicer aquascape, imo. (nothing personal, of course :) )

btw-you do realize how much trimming you'll need to do weekly to show off all of those river pebbles, yes ? :P

A

Anonymous

vitz":2fjdtd62 said:
the new tank 'scape is butt ugly, artificial and contrived looking-your first version (old thread) was a far far nicer aquascape, imo. (nothing personal, of course :) )

Of course. It's ridiculously early to judge, though - the photos above are basically day one shots. In fairness, remember what the first one looked like on day one? Gimme, hmm, three or four more weeks and then come back and say it again if you still feel that way then.

two_149.jpg

btw-you do realize how much trimming you'll need to do weekly to show off all of those river pebbles, yes ? :P

Not too much, actually. The intent isn't to have them shown off.

A

Anonymous

I can't keep my HC like that at all it just grows long stemed :x . I look forward to something like this from you in the future (another Knott tank with Utricularia graminifolia) ;)

urti.jpg

A

Anonymous

Gman0526":1r66n0k6 said:
I can't keep my HC like that at all it just grows long stemed :x .

Stupid question, you sure you've got HC and not HM? That's common behaviour for HM, but not so much for HC. I've seen my HC hit about 2.5" tall (thick is a better word), but only when it grows on top of itself. Without growing on top of itself I don't think I've seen it's stems top around 1".

If it is HC, maybe it's lighting related? That's about all I can think of.

I look forward to something like this from you in the future (another Knott tank with Utricularia graminifolia) ;)

Yeah, I've seen that one too and it's nice. What I'm actually trying for with the UG is a different look than that, though. More like the really dense lawn shown in the pic below....

Attachments

• DSC02984.jpg
    DSC02984.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 190
A

Anonymous

And on a different note, my latest package o'plants is on the delivery truck this morning. With any luck I'll have a few photos of the tank up later tonight after the lobelia goes in. For those of you who may not be familar with it, this is what small form lobelia looks like, when it's really small. It does grow to max of around 6", but slowly.

lobelia_dwarf_top.jpg

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I agree, plant heavily from day 1! I can never get HC to stick in my main tank due to the ancistrus in the tank, but I have a lot of fun with it in a little 2.5g tank I setup just for this one plant. Dwarf lobelia is another favorite of mine, talk about a low maintenance plant!

Looking forward to seeing updates as the tank starts to grow in!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Giancarlo, was wondering where you got to after the 'Questioning the science of...' thread :D

Looking good! I agree, plant heavily from day 1!

If only :) I've ended up with three different plant shipments on this one, each one of which was delayed for upwards of a week. At least apart from the singapore order they weren't actually in transit for all that time, but the cumultive delays have really been a pain.

Dwarf lobelia is another favorite of mine, talk about a low maintenance plant!

So I hear; it's the first time I'm giving it a try. I figure though it gives me some options as far as tiering the height of things at the back of the tank, if I decide I want to.

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":1olcsx4l said:
Hey Giancarlo, was wondering where you got to after the 'Questioning the science of...' thread :D

Yeah that thread wasn't going anywhere... To be honest I was just passing by to see what vitz and Bob were arguing about lately :wink:

Looking good! I agree, plant heavily from day 1!

If only :) I've ended up with three different plant shipments on this one, each one of which was delayed for upwards of a week. At least apart from the singapore order they weren't actually in transit for all that time, but the cumultive delays have really been a pain.

I usually tell people to go to a LFS, pick a cheap fast growing stem plant and buy all of it until your desired plants arrive :) Otherwise I ship them a bag full of floaters...

Dwarf lobelia is another favorite of mine, talk about a low maintenance plant!

So I hear; it's the first time I'm giving it a try. I figure though it gives me some options as far as tiering the height of things at the back of the tank, if I decide I want to.

That should work well for the task. My lobelias never root heavily, they just grow in height and loose their lower leaves forcing me to cut the base and replant the shoots. If you leave the cut base in the substrate new plants will form, otherwise they usually grow new shoots tangled into the roots of the main plants, they just pull apart... But lately mine have not been reproducing on their own, I'm having to leave the cut stem in place to get a new plant... But then again I've greatly changed my maintenance routine on this tank so I expected some changes and reduction in growth.

Here's mine, looks like your picture actually :)

scene27.jpg

At worst, you could always try some E. Tenellus, L. Mauritius
or S. Subulata for a medium height foreground plant... or C. Parva would be closer to the height of the Lobelia... horribly slow though!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gpodio":1qzg7kr5 said:
Yeah that thread wasn't going anywhere... To be honest I was just passing by to see what vitz and Bob were arguing about lately :wink:

Well, if you haven't yet, check out my old thread that's 11 pages long. I managed pretty well right out the gate :D

I usually tell people to go to a LFS, pick a cheap fast growing stem plant and buy all of it until your desired plants arrive :) Otherwise I ship them a bag full of floaters...

One reason I included the phyllanthus, which is taking off. Probably would have been better off with duckweed or salvinia or frogbit for faster growth initially, but then I would have had to remove it to replace it with the phyllanthus later on anyway.

Here's mine, looks like your picture actually :)

It does. The one I grabbed was off APC's plantfinder, so very possibly yours.

At worst, you could always try some E. Tenellus, L. Mauritius
or S. Subulata for a medium height foreground plant... or C. Parva would be closer to the height of the Lobelia... horribly slow though!

I'm not anticipating any problems with the utricularia at this point. Five of the six initial plugs are really taking off now, so the UG foreground should be just a matter of letting it grow in.

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's funny, I thought that was a picture of your lobelia :)

Phyllanthus is great, it's quick too! I also use dwarf water lettuce as it seems to be the faster of the ones I have tried. I got rid of my duckweed because people have a fear of it, personally I have never had too much problems getting it out of a tank, it just requires more than a single netting... But people were complaining about a couple leaves mixed into their bags so it had to go :)

I like your old tank! I can't wait to see this one grown in. Although some crypts would fit in nicely in the corners there... (I have a weakness for crypts :roll: )

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gpodio":19emxeod said:
Phyllanthus is great, it's quick too!

For the first week or so it did nothing. In the last week it's really going gangbusters, but the new growth and roots are coming in green. There anything in specific, other then lighting, that causes it to develop the red coloration?

I got rid of my duckweed because people have a fear of it, personally I have never had too much problems getting it out of a tank, it just requires more than a single netting... But people were complaining about a couple leaves mixed into their bags so it had to go :)

Take a powerhead. Take a small plastic soda/water bottle. Cut off the bottom. Attach the opening of the bottle to the powerhead's intake. Stuff the bottom of the inverted bottle with filter floss. Hold the powerhead in the tank, with the cut open end of the bottle just below the surface of the water. Plug in the powerhead.

Takes about two minutes that way to get rid of duckweed, not to mention floating trimmings. Easiest way I know to get hairgrass trimmings out, that's for sure.

I like your old tank! I can't wait to see this one grown in. Although some crypts would fit in nicely in the corners there... (I have a weakness for crypts :roll: )

I'm still trying to pull off something like the design Oliver Knott used in the tank linked in the first post, scaled down for a tank a third the size he used... albeit now with the downoi replaced by lobelia. The sense of scale may not carry over as well as I'd like, though. We'll see.

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly light I believe, it grows green in my tanks lit with 6700K bulbs and very red on low 4500K bulbs and the supposedly 9325K Aqua Rays which are in no way the kelvin claimed... Nutrients could also change things a little, but I find light spectrum to be the biggest player in bringing out the reds.

I like the powerhead idea! I need to pass that on to a couple folks who just can't bring themselves to net it out a couple days in a row...

I shouldn't speak on aquascaping, it's always been my weakness, I am so bad at collecting plants I am stuck with a 3'x2' anubias I had to dedicate a whole tank to... :oops:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: