Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
can anyone tell me how far down from the Lip of the CAN, is the 40 Gallon mark. ? im loosing my mind trying to find it.

cause i want to make sure im not gonna over shoot with the ESV or Under shoot it. if anyone can help that would be great.!

thanks allot.!

here is a picture of my CANS :P

Attachments

• cans.jpg
    cans.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 202

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
i need 40G mark lol.

too much work. It takes me about 5hours to fill one can up im not going up and down stairs to check on 5g jugs lol.

takes 1.5-2hours for a 20G filled up to the top.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Yea I know. I mean , I can just empty the r/I water bucket I to the jugs I have. Then do the tap water thingy. Lol those brutes are freaking expensive deff not buying another one lol

To top it off we have a 32g a 20g and 2 44gs lol

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
44 is most likely right to the top.
the easiest way is like duke said, with a 5 gallon pre measured and marked and tap water.
or their is a formula to figure it out.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the can is close to being cylindrical, bottom not too much narrower than top, the number of gallons as a function of height from the bottom can be estimated with the equation for the volume of a cylinder

Volume = height * pi* radius * radius

To calculate height in inches for 40 gallons

height = (40 gallons * 231 cubic inches per gallon) / (pi * radius * radius)

To be on the safe side, measure the radius of the Brute can half way up the container.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
it isnt a perfect cylinder. it is tapered. you would have to do it like the volume of a cone but would need to subtract the top of it (cut off the imaginary tip)

Pi*r(squared)*H/3 minus the top (point) of the cone

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it isnt a perfect cylinder. it is tapered. you would have to do it like the volume of a cone but would need to subtract the top of it (cut off the imaginary tip)

I thought it might be but being mathematically lazy and since the can is not "severely" tapered, my approach gets an approximate height.

If I don't grab a beer too early today, I might compare the results to both approaches.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OK, I held off having a beer and fired up Excel.

My Brute garbage can has indentations on the sides and bottom, so, all that is to follow is approximate. The maximum internal height is 31 inches. The diameter at the opening is 22 inches and at the bottom 20 inches. If you estimate the height of 40 gallons using the equation for the volume of a cylinder and an average diameter, 21 inches, the result is 26.7 inches. Doing the calculation rigorously using the formula for the volume of a cone, the result is 27.0 inches. The picture below shows the two steps needed and also why the two approaches are nearly the same. The taper is so small that the garbage can can be treated as a cylinder.

The bad news is that with my dimensions, I calculate an internal volume of 46.5 gallons for a 44 gallon container. The difference is probably all the indentations added for structural integrity. So the likely result is 27 inches is going to be a little short of 40 gallons.

Picture1_zps59be16b7.png

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I posted a link with all the measurements up to 35 gallons which was 5" something from the edge....just do the math on the difference or just round it out since its 9g in 5" so your looking at close to 3 more inches.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: