chill105

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all, longtime member, infrequent poster.

I'm moving my 180g, 3 y/o reef tank. It's a relatively short move (Midtown -> Flatiron), but the first time I've ever attempted such a thing.

I've been doing my research and have a plan and all necessary supplies (I hope!)
I've also hired a professional moving company to help physically move the empty tank, stand, equipment and large trash cans full of water and livestock.

BUT I could really use a helping hand who knows how to handle livestock, can help bag and unpack corals and fish, and can be a sanity check throughout the day.
Major bonus points if you've moved a tank before.

I'm offering $100, frags from the tank, and some celebratory drinks for when the job is finished. I'm expecting ~6 hours from start to finish.

Move date is Sunday, Nov 12, starting at 9am a few blocks from Grand Central.

Please let me know if you are interested!!!

-Zack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkl0OBmaaBs&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

techhnyne

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 80%
8   2   0
im down to give you a hand and i have a jeep i can help you transport everything with AC adapters so you can plug in heaters during transport
PM me

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I am out of town working that weekend. When moving larger coral colonies I use small 1 or 1.5 gallon buckets with lids or 5 gallon if bigger. Some people with huge corals use coolers.

I can check how many of the small buckets I have (I get them from my wife when she makes cakes, the fondant buckets are PERFECT) If I have a few I can offer to loan them to you.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
ive moved tanks before but always smaller sized ones. I always use pails for the water/fish/corals and usually leave sand inside tank. However since that is a big tank I would also remove sand. In your case the plastic totes maybe better, or you can bag up each fish individually which I have done as well. If bagging use one of those foam cooler and be sure to put air into their bags

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
ive moved tanks before but always smaller sized ones. I always use pails for the water/fish/corals and usually leave sand inside tank. However since that is a big tank I would also remove sand. In your case the plastic totes maybe better, or you can bag up each fish individually which I have done as well. If bagging use one of those foam cooler and be sure to put air into their bags
I always take the opportunity to change the sand. At the very least get some fresh live sand and thoroughly wash the used sand.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

reefjunkie167

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some word of advice I went through something similar 2 weeks ago. And everything in my tank died for several reasons. One being the temp change as well as nitrate spike. I would strongly strongly suggest not rushing the process and have a plan of what you will do. I have a 90g tank with a. 40g Sump I assumed it would take me 4 hours and that's only what it took me to take it down. U will need at least 10 pple to make the move. Please be prepared with all necessary equipment if you have any questions feel free to text me at 3477204971

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chill105

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you all for the great suggestions and offers of help. I found a wonderful member here who is going to help me out and have taken all this advice to heart! @reefjunkie167 - so sorry to hear of your loss. That's really tough. Will let everyone know how it goes!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: