pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I find that very interesting. My mask is over 1 yr old and she was about 1 1/2 " now She 2 1/2 with a 2" bellus. Only a little chasing now. I was told not to medicate unless they have something. Best to Qt and feed them frozen food. Mask are hardy once adapted to tank. Also cooler water they like. Only problem with Mask I seen is the bladder gets air causing fish to go to top and release bubbles. They swim a little erratic is a sign. When I add the bigger mask in a few weeks . I'll observed see if they leave bellus alone. I don't want chasing except if one turns to male which is normal. Of all the angels my favor is blueline. Once in awhile blue and mask play who's boss. Both respect each other. They both where same size and even t'I'll today.

Pat, I'm surprised that you were told so. I find the genicanthus and most fish have been coming in loaded with flukes. Places like Advanced Marine do their best to eradicate them via fresh water dips and short isolation time in the backroom whereas I watch places like the Reef Shoppe float the bags and dump them right into their system.
IMO, even if you do not treat for parasites, you need to proactively treat for flukes and intestinal worms.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Warren, I like the fresh water dip. Only when they in Qt a few days and are strong and eating. I had all success from reef shoppe Mask. Only lost a pair three years ago due to black out. When I get new mask fish. I Qt them in 5 gallon containers & change water everyday with 1 drop Formaldehyde per gallon. 5 days then Qt for 5 -8 weeks. I find copper to sensitive and CP takes longer to work. Only problem this year very hard to find. Finally got one to add in a few weeks.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pat, I'm surprised that you were told so. I find the genicanthus and most fish have been coming in loaded with flukes. Places like Advanced Marine do their best to eradicate them via fresh water dips and short isolation time in the backroom whereas I watch places like the Reef Shoppe float the bags and dump them right into their system.
IMO, even if you do not treat for parasites, you need to proactively treat for flukes and intestinal worms.
Never find fluke on swallow tails. If you read some articles some say they don’t need treatment unless you see a parasite. The one I just got was very clean but still did a little prevention. Medication does them more harm in long run. Dips are best along with continue changing water.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I have a baby Regal about the size of a quarter. The first couple of weeks it just picked from the rocks, but now it’s eats small PE mysis and other frozen foods. I then mixed in small pellets and flakes which it now eats as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric79

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can't say enough good things about advanced marine. I'm in there all the time, I'm lucky enough to live within a few minutes of the place and I'm constantly bothering Nick and Andrew with all kinds of questions and they always take the time to talk at length about whatever I need. I've always been treated well there, they have great livestock, and fair prices. Not sure what else you could ask for in a lfs..

The Reef Shoppe

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0

i just saw this i normally would not reply but comments like this are very misleading
we do not float bags and dump them we run hypo salinity and acclimate all livestock for 5-6 hours
step 2- we add methylene blue to the acclimation water for the last hour of acclimation
step 3- we run our copper level at .20 high enough to kill parasitic creatures but not enough to do damage the the fishes internal organs
step 4- paraguard added every night

this is all paired with dual ozone systems and over 2000watts of uv sterilizers

as far as medicating goes i will not post this publicly.

in the future if you have any questions please don't hesitate to call us thank you and happy holidays

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: