Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Can anyone comment on the nutritional value of the frozen foods that are commonly fed?

I've been trying to feed a variety of foods...mysis, brine, spirulina, PE calanus and angel fish blends etc . on a rotating basis or sometimes a mix of a few of them on the same day. But they really seem to favor the brine shrimp. So that has really become the staple of their diet.

Recently I read a comment that brine shrimp is the equivalent of candy as far as their diets are concerned. So I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the nutritional values of these foods and if this statement has any validity.

Thanks in advance!!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Idk about all of them..the one I use is omega enriched brine shrimp and yes its in a green package.

I guess the real question is whether any food in particular is better or worse off nutritionally than the others? Looking at the hikari website and descriptions they provide on all their foods....they
refer to all of the frozen foods as "treats". Bloodworms, daphnia, brine, mysis, tapeworms, rotifiers....all treats.

They refer to their pelletized foods as "daily diet" foods which support growth, color, intestinal health etc. It also seems the pelletized food is significantly higher in protein, crude fats, fiber, vitamins etc..

So are those that feed primarily frozen not supplying enough nutrients to the fish?
Perhaps this is a question to be proposed to the manufacturers directly.

If I get any information I'll post back...

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I would not use any of those foods except for the mysis if you have pipefish or some other fish that only eats those. The shell of mysis takes up most of the package and is not calcium so it is worthless.

PE Calanus I feel is useless and my fish won't even eat it. Adult brine shrimp are also useless.
Unless you have a bunch of tangs, I would also eliminate the spirulina.

I would feed something like LRS food every day. You won't have to add any variety because it is all sorts of seafood. I use it every day and all my paired fish are spawning, I don't have to quarantine and my tank is almost 50 years old. I also suppliment the LRS with live white worms or live blackworms as well as clams that I buy live and freeze. I only feed those last three foods because I want live bacteria in my food.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
The freeze dried BRS stuff looks promising. Not only is it cheaper and easier to work with but it doesn't begin to lose its nutritional value upon traditional freezing. Plus, when preparing to feed i like to add some Selcon and garlic and some Reef Roids to really pack in the nutrition and feed my corals at the same time

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: