A

Anonymous

I received 3 new clams today for clamsdirect and am quite pleased with them. The photos below were taken about 5 hours after they were placed in the tank, and just a jew minutes after the halides came on. They are all responsive and opening up nicely.

The gold maxima next to the small purple one was purhased from eastcoastclams.com a couple of months ago.

Attachments

• dscn4088.jpg
    dscn4088.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,817
  • dscn4089.jpg
    dscn4089.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,817
A

Anonymous

Look at the gigas. You can see al the way through his inhalent siphon. You can actually see the sand bed. Is this normal for a gigas? This is my first gigas, so I was suprised to see all the way through him.

When I was acclimating my clams, about a 1/2 hour after I picked them up, Barry from clamsdirect called me to say he saw that I had picked them up a fedex and he was checking make sure everything was ok. Everything was very well packaged and everything was healthy. I am very impressed with clamsdirect and recommend them to everyone.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Louey":atlircbl said:
Look at the gigas. You can see al the way through his inhalent siphon. You can actually see the sand bed. Is this normal for a gigas? Louey

I think that something must have gotten torn on this guy's hinge. I hope I am wrong.

Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice clams! :D

I know that the gigas clams do not have the same byssal apparatus, but I do not think it is usually hollow there. I don't have any gigas personally.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a closer shot of the giga's inhalent siphon and a closeup of a small aiptasia that is on the small purple one. I am concerned about how to get rid of aiptasia before it damages the calm. I would think the kalk paste method would be bad for the clams as they are sesitive to changes in PH.

Any ideas?

Louey

Attachments

• dscn4091r.jpg
    dscn4091r.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,786
  • dscn4094r.jpg
    dscn4094r.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,785

texman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the hole is normal. I would not worry about the aptasia as far as damage to the clam goes. I have received numerous clams with aptasia attached. I have never seen a clam suffering from this.

toptank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That vent (hole) shows up on gigas most of the time after shipping due to some shipping stress. 95% of the time it will close within a few days. It is NOT cut, it is a muscle that will open and close from time to time.

Sorry about that aptasia, as I have spoken to my supplier regarding some of the clams coming in with these d*** things and I don't want them in my tanks.. Yes you can do the paste as that works, won't hurt the clam but will spread in your tank. I have also taken the clam out of my tank and scappped it off with a knife and that works as well :)

Barry

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clams Louey! :D I really like the brown one with the neon green trim.

I'm hoping to get the lighting done here soon so I can start thinking about a clam.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Buffalo! It really looks more black or dark purple with electric blue trim from the from. From the top looking hown the highlites look green.

All clams still looking good 24 hours after arrival. :D

Hey Minh, when ya gonna post some pics for your new clams? :wink:

Louey

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing though to the sand is normal for Gigas.
You got to get that Aptasia on you Maxima, or he will be in trouble. Use epoxy and cover the whole area for several weeks will do it. Removing may work but you may cause him to move inside the clam. I had a Maxima that I had for 3 years died because of aptasia got inside his shell. You just cannot do anything once the Aptasia move inside. The clam will close up whenever you disturbed it.
Minh

Mike106

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that you can take him out and scrape the aiptasia off with a knife or razor. I have done this in the past with no problems. Nice clams.

later

Sahin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got rid of 3 aiptasia that were on my clam. All I did was to take the clam out, once the clam has shut tight, I just got a strong brush and scrubbed the infected areas. Give a short 5 min dip and wash in RO water and that was it. The brush literally shred the aiptasias, and scrubbed most of it off.
The wash and dip killed any remaining aiptasia bits etc.

I have done this several times ( i no longer have aiptasia anyway).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: