fish farmer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've tried searching the archives and couldn't find any answers, so please excuse this post if it's been asked before...

I recently moved to Oceanside from San Clemente and am wondering which lfs you guys would recommend. I've been to Tri-City in Vista (not impressed). There are a few in San Diego that are nice, but I would like to avoid the drive if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

Kristin

Black96WS6

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish farmer":2esqnp6h said:
Hi,

I've tried searching the archives and couldn't find any answers, so please excuse this post if it's been asked before...

I recently moved to Oceanside from San Clemente and am wondering which lfs you guys would recommend. I've been to Tri-City in Vista (not impressed). There are a few in San Diego that are nice, but I would like to avoid the drive if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

Kristin

Hi Kristin,

I don't know of any up North, however I can recommend 3 down here in main San Diego County:

Pet Kingdom off Sports Arena
Fountains in La Mesa
Aquatic Warehouse in Kearny Mesa

Hope this helps!

fish farmer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black96WS6 - Fountains and Aquatic Warehouse are actually 2 of the stores I've been to and really like. I'll have to check out the other.

bgoode - thanks for the links!!

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Kristin

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black96WS6":ncbq0n1y said:
Pet Kingdom off Sports Arena

Hope this helps!

I am sorry but I have been to pet Kingdom and I have to differ unless they have cleaned their act up lately. Last time I was there Aptasia all over the live rock and corals. Prices were High, and livestock looked really bad. I would go with Aquatic Warehouse in Kearney Mesa, or Octopus garden off of governer. However we are talking about stores further south. Seeing as how I moved to Irvine about 9 months ago I can say that there arent a huge amount that I would recommend.. Further north of me in orange there is Jeffs Tropical fish (www.exoticfish.com) which is really good. Then there is a new store that opened about 2 months ago called Coral Oasis near John wayne Airport (www.coraloasis.com) they are faily decent with good prices friendly staff and a little asian Hottie that you can stare at when she is getting your corals. If you send me a pm I can hook you up with a cat who sells me frags really really really cheap LIke $5 cheap and good quality stuff too. IN anaheim there is Marine Depot (www.marinedepot.com) , not sure if they are open to publics I am sure they are but I could be wrong. There are more but these are the only ones I have been to so far.

Hope it helps

Tarasco

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
supaboy1981":ohd0539y said:
I am sorry but I have been to pet Kingdom and I have to differ unless they have cleaned their act up lately. Last time I was there Aptasia all over the live rock and corals. Prices were High, and livestock looked really bad.
Actually, I stopped by there over the weekend, and was surprised to see that they had in fact, cleaned up their act. The tanks are clean, the majority of their fish livestock looked healthy. The coral tanks were pretty well put together, and you could actually see things. Their SPS tank looked all right too, and appear to be selling a lot of ORA corals. I was shocked that it was so nice, compared to the dump it was the last time I went there. It's not perfect or anything, but I would call it "respectable" now.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tarasco":c68mg7f7 said:
supaboy1981":c68mg7f7 said:
I am sorry but I have been to pet Kingdom and I have to differ unless they have cleaned their act up lately. Last time I was there Aptasia all over the live rock and corals. Prices were High, and livestock looked really bad.
Actually, I stopped by there over the weekend, and was surprised to see that they had in fact, cleaned up their act. The tanks are clean, the majority of their fish livestock looked healthy. The coral tanks were pretty well put together, and you could actually see things. Their SPS tank looked all right too, and appear to be selling a lot of ORA corals. I was shocked that it was so nice, compared to the dump it was the last time I went there. It's not perfect or anything, but I would call it "respectable" now.

Thats good to hear. Guess I may have to check them out when I move back to the SD.

djmuzzi

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like VM Aquatics and Octopuss's Garden. They are on Convoy Street in San Diego.....Plus Aquatic warehouse is a mile away...

djmuzzi

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pet Kingdom has a new Manager... old one sucked (got a 3foot nurse shark in
& was amazed he couldn't move it.) They are doing much better.

peterluber

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, PK is cool now, VMA has awesome corals, but my fish from there are dead :'( RIP. AW is cool, but dont ask for advice from any of the people 8O the guy told me how to plumb my tank with all of this new stuff for durso standpipes, which i thought was really cool so i tipped him. turned out making me pay $170 on these things to make the tank a little quieter. he had already added a tip to the bill, and still accepted ours! then, i got home and had to rebuild them completely different. never asking them for advice again. about the nurse shark, that was so wierd. they were selling it for $300 and had had it for a while, in such a tiny tank. i heard they sold it to someone with a pond for $50!!

croaker

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish farmer,

I live in Carlsbad and have been curious too about a good lfs. I've been to tri-city but would like to check out Aquatic warehouse because I've heard it is good, but I too don't like the drive. Maybe we could carpool? I am new to the hobby but I am in aquaculture so I am curious about your "fish farming".. I will PM you too.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: