evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
So new setup around the corner and due to limited space, have to figure out option B with same benefits as a refugium with algae to thrive outside of the DT, reduction in NO3, PO4 and increase pH at night.

Now, options that I am exploring:

A) biopellets - already own a RO biochurn and a decent skimmer BM Curve 5. Only have to spend money for MB7 or Prodibio + the biopellets.
Never tried it before so will have a small learning curve.

B) algae reactor - I've done it on my last tank and wasnt too happy with a DIY reactor. I'd end up looking to buy one but for what they are, fairly expensive.
225-350~ Price tag
Constant double checking chaeto is growing and doesnt die out.

C) algae scrubber - Ice Cap has a 20W version reasonably priced and cant find too many issues with not going this route.
225 price tag
Main issue: has to sit on top or ext of sump

I think with biopellets would still need to run a separate GFO reactor to reduce PO4 but atleast it is in sump and has its own pump. Can someone confirm if it is NO3 specific or if it reduces PO4 as well?

Lmk if you have another suggestion.

I am not interested in Vodka dosing, vinegar or any dosing solution such as NOPOX.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I went with a algae reactor/scrubber, which I glued into my sump using a single panel. It's posted 4/18, in general discussion. Doesn't take up any space at all, and I could have done it on both left and right sides.

Last edited:

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I saw that. With limited space, I don't know if I can pull that off.

Tank is going to be a 30L IM EXT model. APS stand has VERY limited space and lucky I found a sump that even fits it. And when I say fit, they stated it has less than a few MMs of space on its sides.

Next to the tank will sit the doser and dosing container.

So has to be in sump or on sump. Not much room in back of sump with a center divider so can't even go with a HOB version.

I am going to have to build a controller stand for the rest of the stuff.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I should have just set this thread to figure out who is using what as their nutrient export systems!

Tank is set to come in a week so I have a week of figuring out what my plans are.

I know there are MANY reefers here that have been on MR for a long time and gathered a vast amount of knowledge and experience.

I'd love to know what is your preferred nutrient export methods?
What have you tried and would you recommend it?

Biopellets, Zeovit, Algae Reactor, Algae Scrubber, Triton method or simple Refugium with carbon + gfo.

I appreciate your input!!

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Home made nopox? Scientist? Nice...
There are several ways to make it.. I used to dose only vinegar... i have about 550 true gallons of water, a very large skimmer , 2 filter socks I change 2x a week..
I have to carbon dose w around 40 fish and pretty large, feed all
Day long... nopox for me works wonder..
690 vinegar and 310
Vodka.. got it off a forum.. works well for me.. I also run gfo in bags not a reactor (i have before don’t care for it) 7-9 cups and change it every 3 months

PoeticInjustice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I’m using NoPox but even as I bumped the dosage to almost 30 mL/day, my nitrate is not going down anymore. I added Seachem Matrix and within one day, my nitrate drops to zero. I had to cut my NoPox dosing to around 10 mL. I’m currently dosing Nitrogen to get some nitrates and added GFO because my Phosphate has been climbing. I’m also running a refugium and my chaeto is growing well. I have an oversized skimmer too.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Looks like NoPox has become pretty popular. No extra equipment needed if you were already testing for NO3/PO4.

I personally tend to get lazy after testing too many consecutive days. So need something I can do every other week.

NoPox is a daily dose and cant be put on a doser right? I belive it required to be fridgerated.

PoeticInjustice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Looks like NoPox has become pretty popular. No extra equipment needed if you were already testing for NO3/PO4.

I personally tend to get lazy after testing too many consecutive days. So need something I can do every other week.

NoPox is a daily dose and cant be put on a doser right? I belive it required to be fridgerated.

NoPox can be on a doser, it doesn’t have to be refrigerated. It’s just a combination of alcohol, vinegar, brown sugar, etc.

once you get nopox dialed in it works great
i got rid of my fuge
tried biopellets failed a bunch of times once the power goes out the pellets would clump and get a nitrogen spike
now that the tank is settled i’m using around 5 mls daily
plus protein skimmer
i have 210 gallon sps dominant tank
nitrates 2-5
phosphates 0.04- 0.1

CMD_2020

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
14   1   1
If u do weekly waterchanges of 10(light load) to 20%(heavy load) and have a good dinner, that should be more than enough to keep nutrients down. Assuming you aren't going to stock an absurd amount of fish or feed a large amount of food daily. If for some reason if your nutrients seem to stay high consistently, then I would go with a gfo reactor. I try to stay away from carbon dosing at all cost. Even w a reactor..u may have to play w it because it can strip water too clean, just like any other method. But for me it's the easiest and smallest footprint in the sump. I have a very large gfo reactor and run it only during daylight (15hrs). If u do everything by the book, your nutrients shouldn't be high.i try to keep things as minimalistic as possible. Easier to maintain and less room for error in the future. Keep in mind every tank has different needs. U won't know what your baseline is until u test daily for like atleast a week after it's truly cycled

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I dose 50-60 ml of my nopox daily.. I feed a lot and have a ton of fish... so can’t ever be too clean and I’m adding a lot more fish as well.. just have to monitor it... I keep and eye on coral growth and polyp extension.. and of course calcium and alk...

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Those doing NOPOX or DIY version.

Are you dosing anything in addition to it? MB7 /vibrant etc.

Any keys to success for your reef? Iodine, trace elements, acropower for SPS, phols xtra + roids, reef energy plus? What is your secret once nutrients and stable parameters?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: