Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a well established 16 gallon biocube with plenty of live rock. I am ready to set up a 29 gallon biocube. Is it good idea to take water, rock and filter medium to start the new tank? Any advise is greatly appreciated

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Are you upgrading from the 16 to the 29, or setting up a new tank. Taking stuff from the old tank will definitely speed up cycling process if that is your intention.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you upgrading from the 16 to the 29, or setting up a new tank. Taking stuff from the old tank will definitely speed up cycling process if that is your intention.
I am setting up a new tank. Is the live rock enough or will some filter medium also help. I have an extra bag of matrix in the 16 gallon that I can start off the 29 with. I figured it would help with the cycle

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
The extra filter media will help too. Anything that is able to hold bacteria on it generally will help with speeding up a new tank cycle. Bottled live nitrifying bacteria also help. The idea of old water from an established tank being beneficial to a new tank is debated with some arguing the stuff you want is on the surfaces of the tank (rocks, substrate, glass walls) and not in the water itself. But it definitely wont hurt.

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I recommend new sand and new water in the tank you are setting up. Then you can put a cup of sand (don't have to be exactly a cup but a scoop or so) from your old tank and a piece of live rock from your old tank into the new one. Also Dr. Tims One & Only Reef Bacteria (or another brand but I prefer this one) added. The idea is that with fresh water your nitrates and phosphates should be really low and the Dr Tims also helps keep nitrite and ammonia down during any cycling.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: