Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Hi all,

I am placing an order on Monday for live mysid shrimp and thought I would ask if anyone wants in. The normal order is a minimum of 5,000 Mysids but they are doing me a favor (can order less) since Reed Mariculture is not selling at the moment.

I live in Chelsea (22nd & 7th) and would prefer pickup on Tuesday (March 6th) in the evening (6:30PM). For those of you interested and live in New Jersey, I work in Iselin and we probably could arrange pickup there.

Post and PM me if interested.

Dom

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0

Well I am not exactly sure yet (depends on how many are ordered) but typically it is .35 each at 5000. Reed Mariculture charges something like $2.78 each at a 250 count.

It really depends on how many we end up ordering. I will be ordering a minimum of 500 for myself (usually around $125 without a group buy). I can make arrangments to sell some of mine if small quantities are wanted.

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
mysis

Hi! Dom:

do they reproduce in the tank?

If they do reproduce I have a 12 gal nano & since no fish in the tank I can make a 12 gal refugium until I get some fish. I guess 25 to 50 shrimp would fill the tank. If you have enough people.

thanks,

Danny

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
It most cases I think it is hard to keep a lot of them in a tank together (alive), They will eat each other. AHHHHH!

I like to provide live treats to my fish every once in a while and I do plan on freezing a good amount. The good thing about ordering them live (reed mariculture gets them from the same place I am ordering them from) is I can infuse them with vitamins (PITA) and then freeze some. The live stimulation for seahorses and pipefish keeps them happier in my opinion.

I have had a few live in my fuge and they reproduce a bit but not at the numbers you would like.

I didn't read Deanos' link but I imagine it is an artcle about reproduction. Seems like a lot of work from articles I have read.

I have a good supplier for frozen right near where I work in Jersey (Animals n' Things). Big LFS (not the best livestock) but a ton of frozen foods, lights and tanks. They sell the Hikari Frozen at a cheap rate so I usually buy a full box. I think they are about 5 or so dollars cheaper than NWA. Also, their turnover rate is high so the mysis tend to be in better shape when defrosted. I found Mysis from NWA to fall aprt into pieces after defrosting them which (IMO) is because of freezer burn.

Last edited:

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Reed Mariculture has been overwhelmed with orders lately from aquariums and such so they are not selling at the moment until they fill all of the orders and see what they have left. There is a balance between production and demand that doesn't make sense financially for them since the main supplier is a lab rasing the shrimp for testing toxicity levels in different applications ( not for our aquairums :( ).

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
How much do you think an order of 50 costs? I like the idea that ming has. Might as well if the price is worth it.

It wont be much at all. I'll just give you guys some of mine. Just let me know how many and I will give you guys a more precise price on Monday.

It doesn't seem like I have to order any extras beyond what I was going to order for myself anyway so there is no strings attached.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'll take a few as well - 50-100 seems like a good number. If nothing else, maybe seeing some live mysis might entice my mandarin to eat some dead mysis. If not, more food for my other fishies. :)

I teach a class at Hunter College from 7:30 - 10:00pm on Tuesday nights ... I could easily swing by before then if you think the shrimp would be okay for that time. Let me know how much I owe you!

Thanks.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I'll take a few as well - 50-100 seems like a good number. If nothing else, maybe seeing some live mysis might entice my mandarin to eat some dead mysis. If not, more food for my other fishies. :)

I teach a class at Hunter College from 7:30 - 10:00pm on Tuesday nights ... I could easily swing by before then if you think the shrimp would be okay for that time. Let me know how much I owe you!

Thanks.

LOL. I just made this offer to you on your thread. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: