samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Anyone have the same situation. They have a brown shell and sticks on the rock. They spit out thread over night....like the spider thread that you see at home. You can see them hiding in the shell during the day. Are they good or bad? I'll try to take a picture if no one knows what i'm talking about. Any ideas?

[ October 26, 2004, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: samksy ]

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Marrone, is this the one that you have on your rocks? Thanks

worm.jpg

Missy Johnson

Masta of Disasta
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you talking about sea-squirts? They cast out a spider-like web to catch filter food....they create a sometimes pointy tube/shell attached to a rock....if you look closely sometimes you can see the little guy come out with the antenna....

Barnacle_Blenny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
It's closely related to the feather duster worm. Except istead it uses a mucus web to catch is food. Completely harmless. The antennas you see are of the worm that lives in the hard shell like home he has made for himself I have hundreds of little ones. They are bad if you have a scooter blenny or a madarin since they capture most copepods and amphipods eliminating there natural diet. Other then that there fun to watch

Missy Johnson

Masta of Disasta
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually, I don't know if that's what they are called. That's what I always called them. I think they are harmless....my lobster ate mine :( He's looking for a new home if you need a 'clean up crew' lol!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: