BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I been having problems with my acans and favias and chalices. I was told very little par reaches the bottom but everything on the sandbed is bleaching. Could it be the bulb configuration? Or duration?

Bulb setup:
2x ati aquablue special
3x ati blue plus
2x ati purple plus
1x geissman red

Duration:
2 x blue plus & 2 purple for 9 hours
2 aquablue special, 1 blue plus, 1 red for 7 hours

Favias completely bleached.
Acans sunken in and bleached even under a frag rack its starting to look a little better. I'm not sure

Half my chalices are bleaching a little. The other half are fine partially shaded under LR.

Should I get rid of all my aquablue specials? Maybe shorten the time to 6 hours?

P.S. I have sps up top 6" from water line and they are all doing great. Growing nicely.

Levels are all inline

Ammonia, nitrite 0, nitrate phosphate almost 0.
Calcium 400
Alk 8 or 9
Ph 8.0 to 8.2

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
tank is 110 tall, 48 x 18x 30"H. The light is on brackets about 4 to 6 inches from the water line.
im dosing alk and calcium manually recently because the demand has been going up.
I dose at night and half of the recommended dosage for the amount of gallons until i reach the desired levels.

I water change 15 gallons (10% including sump approx) every week.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Started dosing and the acans are doing much better. Chalice still bleaches when I put new ones in unless I put it under the shade and slowly bring it out of the shade.

I also lowered the amount of time with all 8 bulbs down to 6 hours and changed the bulb and configuration. No more aquablue specials. I use coral plus now.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: