Markbluereef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3’ x 2’ 57 gallon. Im close to purchasing 2 AI Prime HD. I dont mind spending a little more for light because its so important. YouTubers claim no disco effect and nice shimmer, great growth with all corals, including SPS. What do you think?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along, thinking about ai primes as well. why are they so much cheaper than the radions? do you guys think its just the ecotech brand?
I’ve had 2 primes since the first model 5yrs ago above a 50 breeder mixed reef w/ beginner sps (birdsnests, stylos) midway up (9 inches above barebottom), spaced about 8 inches from either side end, and 5 inches above rim of the tank. Supplemented by 2T5 bulb fixture on tank mount 3 inches above rim. Grow corals without problems. Still have one original fixture from 5 yrs ago, replaced the other that died w/ prime HD 1 1/2 yrs ago, and have had no complaints since. For a smallish reef these lights can’t be beat for value and ease of use via myAI app. Running AB+ profile at 60% uv/blues, 4% green/deep red, and 19% white for 9hrs w/ 1 hr ramp up/down. I think the AI ecotech merger has helped push AI lights to a higher level at a faster rate since these fixtures now all share similar technology. Had one fixture’s fan die and was sent a replacement free of charge just out of warranty.

Last edited:

Markbluereef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 2 primes since the first model 5yrs ago above a 50 breeder mixed reef w/ beginner sps (birdsnests, stylos) midway up (9 inches above barebottom, spaced about 8 inches from either side end, and 5 inches above rim of the tank. Supplemented by 2T5 bulb fixture On tank mount 3 inches above rim. Grow corals without problems. Still have one original fixture from 5 yrs ago, replaced the other that died w/ prime HD 1 1/2 yrs ago, and have had no complaints since. For a smallish reef these lights can’t be beat for value and ease of use via myAI app. Running AB+ profile at 60% uv/blues, 4% green/deep red, and 19% white for 9hrs w/ 1 hr ramp up/down. I think the AI ecotech merger has helped push AI lights to a higher level at a faster rate since these fixtures now all share similar technology. Had one fixture’s fan die and was sent a replacement free of charge just out of warranty.
So nice to hear the long history you have had with them. I didn’t want to cheap out on light but these seem like a good value. And not Chinese corona box lights. But this YouTuber J’s reef’s
sold me on it. Beautiful light and thriving corals.

Reactions: MWW
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem— when they first came out I heard conflicting reports regarding inadequate par and lack of coral growth, which I’ve found out to be completely untrue. My reef has moved on from a softy/lps to mixed lps/simple sps tank with these lights. It does really help to add T5s to boost the par and give you the windex blue 18k look most stick heads want. Don’t even need an expensive T5 fixture—mine is an old well cared for aquatic life 2 bulb fixture that I used to use on my 46 gallon bow front planted tank. Just add some ATI blue plus bulbs and you're set for sps in the upper half of your tank. The dimensions on your tank are almost identical to mine, so this should work for you. I’m actually thinking about adding another Prime if I want more difficult acros in my tank. Good luck! Check out BRS videos regarding detailed reviews on how to set up led fixtures ie AI’s, Ecotechs, Orpheks, Kessils,etc. Great info on height, spacing, settings, and par spread for every light you could want. I’ve seen that video, really shows how good these lights really are if your chemistry is stable.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: